need some help with gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok my first truck was a 88k1500 with a 350 with about 100xxx miles and the 700R4 tranny with a 3" body lift and 33" tires and i pushed 18+ mpg now my new truck is a 93 k1500 with a 350 with 45xxx on the motor but 150xxx on the body, and a 4L60E trans. 35" tires, a 3" body lift and what im geussing to be a older version suspension lift, doesnt have drop torsions, but the skid plate is bigger then stock, its off from a stock truck about 3 1/2" so im assuming its not a torsion crank. now to my question is why is the gas milage so horrible? i know im not expecting much but does 8 mpg sound right to you guys?

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May need to gear it right. If your on 3.42s with 35" your putting a good load on the transmission and asking the engine to work outside of its sweet spot (rpm range)

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to re-gear that thing. I'm getting 10, and I I thought that was bad.

It's bad for me, so yeah, you should be getting more than 8. I would imagine that you could get that to at least 12 city and 13 or 14 highway.....at the very least.

Unless you're pushing on the skinny pedal a lot, then you're going to get bad mileage.

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it doesnt make a huge diffrence wether im babying it or romping on it but still isnt 8mpg alittle excessive? hell my 85 k10 had a full 6" suspension lift and 35" tires with 3.73 gears and i still got around 13mpg

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Are u sure you are calculating your MPG correctly?

Full size V8 trucks with lifts and big tires aren't known for their great fuel economy...

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
more than likely over caculating it, i have a 22 or 25 gallon tank, i dont remember what the small ones were in these right now but when i go to my girlfriends moms that roughy 20 miles round trip, 2 trips eat up a half a tank and thats with babying it as well, im not expecting anything huge thats why i have my cavalier, but i still thought it could be alittle better especially when my 85 had a carb 305 that was borderline on its own weight and i was still getting better than this

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
more than likely over caculating it, i have a 22 or 25 gallon tank, i dont remember what the small ones were in these right now but when i go to my girlfriends moms that roughy 20 miles round trip, 2 trips eat up a half a tank and thats with babying it as well, im not expecting anything huge thats why i have my cavalier, but i still thought it could be alittle better especially when my 85 had a carb 305 that was borderline on its own weight and i was still getting better than this

tank is 25Gal.

too be honest, seems like you aren't calculating your MPG very well..