Need some help...blew new a speaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I have this head unit in my Suburban:

Pioneer DEH-X6500BT http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X6500BT
It claims output of 50W x 4 channels

I put these speakers in the front doors about a month before the head unit:
You must be registered for see images attach

The speakers sounded great with my factory head unit. They sounded great with the Pioneer too. The speaker in the passenger door is blown. There is no amp or anything, just head unit connected to factory wiring to speakers. I listen to the radio, or listen to music files/streaming music through BT from my phone.

What caused the speaker to blow? Running music out of my Galaxy S5 over bluetooth?

I have another set of these speakers that are supposed to be for the rear doors. Also have a NIB set of Pioneer 4x10's for the cargo area ceiling, that spec:

"2-way 4x10 speakers (pair) # IMPP (Injection Molded Polypropylene) woofer paper cone tweeter sensitivity: 91 dB frequency response: 38-23,000 Hz recommended power range: 2-35 watts RMS"

I'm trying to upgrade/update the sound system in my rig for nice clear sound, I guess a little louder than stock, or as loud as my new head unit allows. I am not anywhere near up to speed on what works with what, and am looking for advice on what to do. Am I going to blow these other 6.5's if I put them in? What about the 4x10's?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess would be you pushed them too hard with an insufficient power source. No head unit in existence puts out 35-50W RMS, they're all closer to 16W. (18W on some of the newer Alpines) That 50Wx4 rating is a peak rating, RMS is what matters. High volume and low power will introduce distortion, audible or not, and kill speakers just as fast as any high power situation.

Also since you don't mention a sub I'm going to assume that you have a full range signal going to all your interior speakers, that just adds stress when they're underpowered as it is.

Long story short, don't blast them so hard without a decent amp.

EDIT - Wasn't going to say anything as everyone's got different standards... But DB Drive speakers are straight garbage from everything I've seen. One of those brands up there with Dual that I try not to touch with a 10ft pole. I'm sure that's part (most, to be honest) of the reason they failed prematurely.

Last edited:

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
My guess would be you pushed them too hard with an insufficient power source. No head unit in existence puts out 35-50W RMS, they're all closer to 16W. (18W on some of the newer Alpines) That 50Wx4 rating is a peak rating, RMS is what matters. High volume and low power will introduce distortion, audible or not, and kill speakers just as fast as any high power situation.

Also since you don't mention a sub I'm going to assume that you have a full range signal going to all your interior speakers, that just adds stress when they're underpowered as it is.

Long story short, don't blast them so hard without a decent amp.

EDIT - Wasn't going to say anything as everyone's got different standards... But DB Drive speakers are straight garbage from everything I've seen. One of those brands up there with Dual that I try not to touch with a 10ft pole. I'm sure that's part (most, to be honest) of the reason they failed prematurely.

Pretty much nailed it. Replace with something better. I recommend Polk DB651s for the front if you don't have the factory component setup.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB...TF8&qid=1452549879&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+db651

If you do have the factory component setup, I recommend these
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB...TF8&qid=1452549879&sr=8-3&keywords=polk+db651

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a fan of those Polks as well, great budget speakers. Right up there with the Kicker KS series.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
$60/pair is budget, huh? I can't get in that league...not for stereo stuff. It's just not that important to me. I was hoping to understand how/why this speaker blew. The only answer I understand is that these DB drive speakers are crappy, and that's the opinion of one poster in this thread. I'm going to screw the other set of these into my front doors and run them until they blow. Thanks for the input, fellas.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only answer I understand is that these DB drive speakers are crappy, and that's the opinion of one poster in this thread.

Looks to me like it's the opinion of both of the people who responded to you. We tried.

Last edited:

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Looks to me like it's the opinion of both of the people who responded to you. We tried.

It's cool, man. I hear you guys. I paid more attention to the other speakers Swamp linked than anything else he said. If I wind up in some position where I have nothing better to spend $ on than speakers for my Suburban, I'll remember this. Again, thanks for the input.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
It's cool, man. I hear you guys. I paid more attention to the other speakers Swamp linked than anything else he said. If I wind up in some position where I have nothing better to spend $ on than speakers for my Suburban, I'll remember this. Again, thanks for the input.
That's 60 bucks for a pair. Boils down to 30 a piece if we're talking about the coaxials I linked. If that's pricey I would look into some pioneer speakers. Decent build quality and sound quality at a more affordable price.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
That's 60 bucks for a pair. Boils down to 30 a piece if we're talking about the coaxials I linked. If that's pricey I would look into some pioneer speakers. Decent build quality and sound quality at a more affordable price.

Right, Swamp, so I'd need 4 total, front doors, and rear doors. I have a new set of pioneer 4x10's for the cargo area, but I'm not putting them in if they're going to blow. I'd rather find out what is wrong, fix it, then put them in so I don't blow them, too. Oh, and because you mentioned it yesterday, the tweeters in the doors are still hooked up. Could this have anything to do with the DB failure? I'm not a stereo guy. Never have been.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Right, Swamp, so I'd need 4 total, front doors, and rear doors. I have a new set of pioneer 4x10's for the cargo area, but I'm not putting them in if they're going to blow. I'd rather find out what is wrong, fix it, then put them in so I don't blow them, too. Oh, and because you mentioned it yesterday, the tweeters in the doors are still hooked up. Could this have anything to do with the DB failure? I'm not a stereo guy. Never have been.
In my experience, what kills speakers is giving to much to to little. Cranking up the volume, bass, etc and then sending it all to a speaker that isn't equipped to handle it always ends with it popping. Since you said you don't do audio, I'm gonna say you're not cranking up the bass and playing the most thug music you can find, which would be the kind of extreme condition it takes to blow speakers. You said the factory tweeters were still hooked up, but that shouldn't be a problem. I honestly believe it's just a speaker failure from a low quality speaker. Can you have he DBs warrantied out? Could just be a bad unit i.e. DOA