2000 Tahoe z71 factory amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've looked for a bit and can't find the exact answer...

My OBS has the factory premium sound (Non-Bose) package. It has the AM/FM Cassette, Slave CD, Front woofer/tweeter, rear door coaxial, and then 2 4x10(?) in the roof of the cargo area.

Which speakers does the head unit power, and which speakers does the auxiliary amp power? I was thinking about removing the amplifier and replacing any tired components in it, but if it only powers the 4x10s, it's probably not worth it.

Lastly where is the Aux Amplifier located? Any pics...? Has anyone rebuilt/restored one before?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't think the Z-71 got the sub. I took the entire interior from a Z-71 and didn't see an amp or a sub. I Know the Denali's and Escalade's got em, and, weren't that great....oh and they are located in the center console...

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
He's talking about the woofer/tweeter combo in the doors, as in the 6.5" + 1", not the uplevel low-pass subwoofer. The rear doors are the only ones that are amped by the external amp which should be located under your driver seat.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's talking about the woofer/tweeter combo in the doors, as in the 6.5" + 1", not the uplevel low-pass subwoofer. The rear doors are the only ones that are amped by the external amp which should be located under your driver seat.
so the front speakers, and rear ROOF speakers are powered by the headunit? strange

I thought the roof speakers wouldve been the external amplifier. This is good news, I would like to rebuild the amp, i'm sure it could use it.

Any pics of the amplifier by chance?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
should be a little something like this. It's not a significant thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach