Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper700t

Reaction score
hey i am new to this site aswell new to the 98 z71. I just picked one up in the summer in awsome shape however there is starting to be a hesitation somewhere around 70 km/h when not on gas. Just wondering what this could mean an what should be done to fix this? someone told me changing the fluid will help a lot. Any sudgestions woud be great. thanks

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
could you give a little more info about the truck like what motor, tranny, mileage, what the truck was or is used for ie towing or haulling or just a daily cruiser. a problem as small as hesitation could mean different things on a different truck. if it was just a cruiser then a fluid change might clear it up and maybe run a bottle of slick 50 tranny fix, or if the truck is a workhorse or has the miles racked up on it then it could mean something in the tranny is gone.

but if you have no idea how old the fluid is, go ahead and change it and i would recomend the slick 50 tranny treatment. you have to run the motor while you put it in and it will take about 30-45 minutes but it works. used it on my dads van, the tranny was so bad you could barely drive it. added the slick 50 and all problems went away and never had a problem since.

EDIT: i just noticed that you didn't say whether it was tranny or motor, i assumed it was a tranny problem. but if it not then the same idea of providing more info and truck history still apply.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats right around 40-45 mph. thats when the truck goes into overdrive. if your ignition stuff is in good order, i'd say its possibly the classic tc shudder. does it kind of hesitate or jerk a little if you give it light gas while coasting at that speed?

Torque converter shudder in 4th while lockup is engaged; problem goes away when the brake pedal is pressed slightly to unlock converter. verify line pressure, and provided no valves in the TCC hydraulic circuit are worn, replace the torque converter. Also, Lubegard Shudder Fix will at least fix this for awhile. Or try a transmission flush by a shop that uses BG brand products.

viper700t

Reaction score
ya my truck is the 350 with about 220 000 kms on it..an not sure what the history was(if he serviced the tranny before or not)..an ya ts96 is right..its almost a jerk when coasting..so my question is should i changed the fluid to stiffen it up or should i stay clear of that..heard its a good idea an heard it was a bad idea..

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your not sure on the history if it was me Id do a major service from radiator to the rearend. tuneup filters everything