My Locking Condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a problem with the locks in my '98, and I am posting here to see if anyone has had the same problem to pinpoint where it is occurring. Here goes...

Remote will "lock-unlock" when both sides unlocked. Meaning both lock then immediately unlock. When locked, remote will unlock driver only pass side doesn't move.

Lock button on the driver door will lock both sides. Pass side will "lock-unlock" same as remote.

Anyone been here?

Thanks

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Sounds like that could be normal ?

Since you never mentioned pressing the unlock button twice on the key fob.

Quote from a 99 Tahoe manual, page 76.

Operation

To unlock the driver’s door, press the UNLOCK button.
The interior lamps will come on for 40 seconds or until
the ignition is turned on. If you press this button again
within five seconds, all the remaining doors will unlock.
Press the LOCK button to lock all the doors. The interior
lamps will come on for two seconds as soon as all the
doors are closed. If you press the LOCK button twice the
horn will chirp to confirm that the doors are locked.
If you do not want the horn to chirp as a confirmation
that the doors have locked or unlocked, please consult
your dealer......

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmown...evrolet/tahoe/1999_chevrolet_tahoe_owners.pdf

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking that sounded like normal remote operation too...

Been a long time since I've had the factory keyless hooked up in either of my trucks but I seem to remember having to press unlock twice on the remote to get all the doors to open.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Normal on most fob locking systems is the remote only unlocks drivers side on a single press, but a double press opens all door locks.

The other issue I'm not sure about as my 97 Tahoe worked without issues.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't very clear. If the doors are locked and I press "lock" or "unlock" driver's only opens. Driver side cycles no matter what button I press. Passenger side never locks no matter what I press. Goes down, then right back up.

I reread my post and don't see anything about saying I pressed it twice...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try pressing the remote button multiple times, see if the lock actuator slowly moves to the correct position. Same thing using the door switch. It could just be a weak actuator.

Edit: never mind, I misread your post and missed where you said it just goes up and down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No i was saying the normal unlock is once for driver door and twice for all other doors. Not that you did a double up on the fob. Do the doors lock and dtay locked? If so when does this happen?

It sounds like there is unlock stuck in the vehicle, nothing to do with the fob.

Have you reset your system by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll take a stab at it, but it sounds like the passenger door locks and then immediately unlocks whether via the remote or the door switch. Here are the wiring diagrams for a 98.

You must be registered for see images attach

My best guess, and someone please chime in, is that when you hit the lock switch on the driver door you get...

Voltage from fuse 13 to the switch’s circuit 195 which is continued as “B” to the door lock relay cavity F.

The relay is energized to receive voltage from circuit 540 which is supplied to the right front door lock actuator on circuit 294. It’s grounded through the door lock relay cavity ‘E’ which then grounds from cavity ‘D’ to ground G202, allowing the actuator to flip the lock.

The unlock function is the other side of the relay (circuit 194 to the relay) at cavity ‘E’. Maybe that switch is stuck closed.

If I was going to throw a part at it, it would be a door lock relay. Unless the door lock actuator is somehow wired in reverse by error.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, this helps, although the diagram is admittedly above my pay grade. It still wouldn't explain why both "lock" and "unlock" on the fob activate the driver side lock though.

Since my junkyard hydro boost is leaking badly now, I am going to have some quality time under the dash. I am thinking an actuator is in order.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The driver side lock function also passes through that relay, so that may be the culprit.

It looks like it’s tucked in roughly above the gas pedal.