my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow awesome work, less talk more pics though lol I don't know how many pages of talking I saw with few to no pics.

I think you get the award for biggest thread or page count on gmt400 though.

Reaction score
Hey guys I have ben reading this forum and like the truck you are building 98nightmare I also have an 89 chevy 1500 stepside and a 95 fleetside bagged and a 96 thats is goin to be next project. I am wanting to put 22S on my 89 and was wondering if it would rub the fenders it has 17 on it know it more old skool look but i am redoin it all flat black with polished and bullit aluminum (cant spell lol) parts that it already has o it and bigger wheels, My 95 has 22s on it but its fleet side and i built all the supesion under it except for tubed a arms it lays realy hard it will lay 24s with drop spindles and tub fire wall little bit.

but besides that my question was would the 22s rub the fenders or would i have to raise them?

22s will rub if slammed or laying frame in the stepside beds...

Reaction score
wow awesome work, less talk more pics though lol I don't know how many pages of talking I saw with few to no pics.

I think you get the award for biggest thread or page count on gmt400 though.

Ima do a pic thread.. just havent gotten to that yet lol... :)

Reaction score
Not knockin anything, but is that thing gonna rattle like crazy with the hinged part laying on the base? Or is everything going to get bedlined?

The floor will be bedlined on its top surface, the underside will be painted to match truck.. the areas between the braces under the hinged floor will have leather fillers with logos or something embroidered in them.. and as for the floor vibrating, there will be a strip of "Gym floor" rubber around the 2x2s top where the floor will rest upon. Ive yet to decide on a latch style yet... But all has been figured out for the most part.. It'll get there... eventually :) lol...

The hinges are commercial steel hinges that are for welding... so they wont be vibrating any time soon :) I used four of them even tho it was over kill.. Welded to the floor and bolted to the frame...

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thanks for the lil bit of info bout the fender rub probly will do sumthing different i just pulled it out of the weeds today started right up i through on different set of seventeens i had and took it for spin one of brake callipers is locked up but have few parts trucks i have collected sure one of them is good

Reaction score
If you lay frame a 22 may clear in the stepside with a 35 profile tire, but i believe you need a 5.5 backspacing with the rim.. Im not positive, but i know for sure a body dropped stepside can have no more than a 20 with a 35series and 5.5 backspacing. I say a 22 will scrub cause even my 18s with a 45 profile on them are to close for comfort.. But im not 100% positive on that, the rim width would be the factor on that one.. I can fit a finger between my tire and the top curve of the bedside when aired out... May wanna ask Draggin95 on that.. Hes got allot of experience with doing stepsides :) Wish i could offer more info, but ive only my experiences and what ive seen others go thru on their builds...

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea i understand and thanks for info i have a bagged stepside and thinking of goin for different look with it i have a set of 22s that fit perfect under my bagged fleet side with plenty of room just havent tryd them on my stepside yet and it looks like it might work but will be very close

Reaction score
yea i understand and thanks for info i have a bagged stepside and thinking of goin for different look with it i have a set of 22s that fit perfect under my bagged fleet side with plenty of room just havent tryd them on my stepside yet and it looks like it might work but will be very close

They most likely will if they arent staggered. id say try em out and have someone check under the fender while you air out. But i wouldnt try any side to side stuff with em personally.. lol.. If they fit pretty good, post a thread about it.. I've seen tons of threads on other sites where people ask the same question. Nobody really has a positive answer, mainly from like i said, it really depends on the rims width and offset/backspacing and also tire size. A friend of mine had some DUBs that were 22s and had 35 profile tires for his donk, i set them beside my truck bed when he got them and they were taller than my fenders. But at the same token theres a boy with a vid on youtube bagged on 26s..:shrug: Most 22 setups ive seen online have raised the fender a couple inches. If i ever go bigger ima raise my fenders or go fleetside.
:hmm:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, you can run a 22 with a 265/35/22 on a stepside layed out, but not BD'ed. I have 22x8's with 5 3/4 backspace and I don't rub the bed sides at all, and Sierra also has 22's on his, he would have to chime on to give you the offset on his though I am not sure what they are. The 265/35/22 tire is as big as you can go without raising the sides up while layed out, they are just slightly larger than the stock size tire, stock 235/75/15's are 28.9 in tall and 265/35/22's are 29.3 tall.