my 88 messed up again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eh, I've had many more problems with carbs than TBI.

You could do the big 3 and see if that helps your charging issue. If not, it's still a cheap upgrade and does help charging considerably.

Have you swapped your battery for a known good one? I've had them drop a cell before and cause issues.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
Don't swap to a carb dude, learn how to fix the tbi system, they are 10x's more reliable than a carbed engine...main thing is get the charging system issue fixed..then you might find out that you the other issue wasn't really an issue after all....low voltage can cause the efi system to malfunction...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry guys but for me, carb has never let me down at all.

I do plan to fix the charging issue, have to, going to check battery and all to see what's up, have the alt. checked several times at different places even.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
sorry guys but for me, carb has never let me down at all.

I do plan to fix the charging issue, have to, going to check battery and all to see what's up, have the alt. checked several times at different places even.

seems to me you have electrical issues, nothing to do with fuel.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea it is electrical, but the thing with fuel is the injectors not firing, get fuel to them but they don't fire, and if you ask me, only thing to control them besides dist. would be computer, which is why I said carb setup, do away with it all. The alt and charging system still has to work though, gotta fix it first and see if the truck acts up anymoe afterwards.

Wwildman

Reaction score
Here are a few pointers when dealing with TBI
1. distributors have problems I have ran in to getting 3 reman one to get one good one
2.fuel pressure and voltage make the truck run better
3.A good coil helps too .
I have 212 k on mine and have only ran into a few issues .

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well my dist. is a reman. new one, coil is new, everything is new pretty much.

biggest thing now is the charging system not working, it's not my gauge either because my charging system tester says it's only got 12 volts running. Did the same thing last time, started working. Going to have the alt. checked soon.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well my dist. is a reman. new one, coil is new, everything is new pretty much.

biggest thing now is the charging system not working, it's not my gauge either because my charging system tester says it's only got 12 volts running. Did the same thing last time, started working. Going to have the alt. checked soon.

you need to get that fixed before the carb swap, HEI needs a full 12V to run good. need any help with it, just PM me

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's what I've been saying all along, going the fix the charging issue first, see if the FI works good and keeps working and if so leave it, if not and the charging system works and stays up, then it's carb time.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
that's what I've been saying all along, going the fix the charging issue first, see if the FI works good and keeps working and if so leave it, if not and the charging system works and stays up, then it's carb time.
sounds good!