My 1997 GMC Somewhat bulid thread ( Lots of Pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havoc2004

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my truck is stuck in 4lo in my drive way right now and it won't shift out of it. Any ideas of what it could be? Last night at a bonfire it was really sandy and I needed 4x4 to turn her around when I was parking. (I've never had 4hi). Then it didn't want to shift out of 4lo last night but it did and I parked it. At the end of the night it wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive at all like the switch wasn't lighting up at all and thank God I was able to climb the hill and get out in two wheel drive. So I had two extra switches at the house and a little while ago I switched them out and then it worked......... but it got stuck in 4lo again and WON'T shift out at all. When I push the buttons they flash and it makes a click in the cab but it doesn't shift the transfer case under the truck. All three switches are doing the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated because as is it's not drive able now

I was having a similar problem in my old '96 Z71 and it turned out to be actuator motor. Also may have the linkage checked.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Well my truck is stuck in 4lo in my drive way right now and it won't shift out of it. Any ideas of what it could be? Last night at a bonfire it was really sandy and I needed 4x4 to turn her around when I was parking. (I've never had 4hi). Then it didn't want to shift out of 4lo last night but it did and I parked it. At the end of the night it wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive at all like the switch wasn't lighting up at all and thank God I was able to climb the hill and get out in two wheel drive. So I had two extra switches at the house and a little while ago I switched them out and then it worked......... but it got stuck in 4lo again and WON'T shift out at all. When I push the buttons they flash and it makes a click in the cab but it doesn't shift the transfer case under the truck. All three switches are doing the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated because as is it's not drive able now

It happened to mine what I did was put it in the gear that I engaged 4 low in and punch the 2wd button that worked for me

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I was having a similar problem in my old '96 Z71 and it turned out to be actuator motor. Also may have the linkage checked.

Where is the actuator motor located? I changed the actuator and I just picked up the transfer case switch that I ordered yesterday so hopefully that fixes it if not I don't have any idea what it is haha

It happened to mine what I did was put it in the gear that I engaged 4 low in and punch the 2wd button that worked for me

Haha nothing is happening no matter how hard I push the buttons

Stupid push button 4x4, only downside to the 97

Seriously that is my least favorite part of my truck haha

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
No updates other than I did fix my four wheel drive last weekend. Nearly $400 later but I fixed it haha.

Anyways I got a pic of when we were putting on my cab lights and I finally got a pic next to a 2014!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to say without a tread pic. How can you try an sell tires without that???