MsChevy's 1997 Chevy Silverado ECSB aka Big Blue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I've never had a airbag light stay on any vehicle I've messed with that had airbags after i disconnected the airbag switch.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
If you want the air bag system to work the truck needs to be seen by a shop that not only knows GM but also air bag systems with a proper diagnostic computer to connect to the trucks air bag computer.

If you want to pass inspection for now and fix later I would pull the plug from the air bag computer, that should keep the light from coming on, but your air bags won't deploy if you get into a collision.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I've never had a airbag light stay on any vehicle I've messed with that had airbags after i disconnected the airbag switch.

Honestly I can't remember if I have or not, but I think I did... I will try again tho.

If you want the air bag system to work the truck needs to be seen by a shop that not only knows GM but also air bag systems with a proper diagnostic computer to connect to the trucks air bag computer.

If you want to pass inspection for now and fix later I would pull the plug from the air bag computer, that should keep the light from coming on, but your air bags won't deploy if you get into a collision.

That's what I thougt, I was mostly wondering if either disconnecting (and connecting) the pass. side airbag switch or replacing parts in the steering column would make some airbag related code pop-up that has to be reset.

Unfortunatly, according to our laws it has to work if the vehicle is equipped with it. If I take it back and the light don't blink when they start the truck they won't pass it because of that.

If disconnecting the battery don't work, I'll take it to the shop.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Got an appointment at a US car & truck shop in about 2 weeks, hopefully we can figure out why my airbag light is on.

Anyways, the other day I had to get some gas for the old lady so I figured I'd share what we pay in Sweden right now. In Swedish money it's 950kr for 74 liters (12.82kr/L). In dollars and gallons that is $110 for 19.5 gallons, so $5.64/gallon and this will last me about 2 weeks.
You must be registered for see images attach

5 minutes later on my way home I noticed the very dark clouds in the sky but I thought the rainy part where much further away...

It wasn't... I almost made it home. I don't have a problem driving in "less than good conditions" or in "horrible conditions" for that matter, we have that about 6-8 months out of a year so I'm used to it, but when the sky opens and you might as well stand under a waterfall and your wipers don't want to work it's even out of my comfortzone... I had to pull over and so did 5 or 6 other cars just where I was. I think I sat there for 20-30 minutes waiting for the rain to calm down. It was pretty cool tho, it doesn't rain like that here very often.

Then it got even worse, I've never seen so much water coming down in my life! The car with the turnsignal to the left in the pic is about 20-25 feet infront of me and you can barely see it. At this point it was rain, hail and some serious thunder and lightning. The lightning struck the mountain across the water about 100-150 yards away from me, it sounded like the mountain exploded!
Eventually it calmed down enough that I could see enough to drive the last bit home and to my surprice, my wipers started working again!

Someone told me what was probably wrong with my wipers but I can't remember what it was. When they don't work I still here a sound, I'm pretty sure it's the wiper motor, so could it be that control card thing that needs replacing?

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll probably replace it next week if the place that sales them is open.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Truck's still looking good! Makes me want a truck that color every time I see it. Maybe I missed it in my quick catch-up reading, but what happened to your grille inside the Drivers headlight? Looks like it's broken.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might be able to fix the wipers yourself.
My wipers stopped working in my 92 and I was able to take apart the pulse board and re-solder the connections on the board and got them working again.
I believe it was a common problem on some of the earlier gmt400s, though IDK about 96 and newer.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
@Triplel40 Sorry for the ridiculously late replay. Thanks, it's a definitly a color that stands out, I like it alot too! :)

What happent to it was someone somehow figured out there was a 32" LED bar behind the top grille insert and tried to steal it. Since it's mounted from the inside of the grille the only way to get it out without violently ripping the entire face of the truck is to open the hood and remove the grille, but they failed trying to break into it so the only thing they accomplished was breaking things.

This was in early March but because the insurance co has a really ****** system the bill wasn't okay'd when the shop looked at their end even tho I had papers saying they were gonna pay...

...7 months went by and finally everything was cleared. About 2 week ago I actually got the truck back, I left for vacation and when I came back home it was done.

New painted grille, new emblem and a complete repaint of the driver door because of the scratch from when they tried breaking into it. I'm still waiting on my replacement grille insert.

I have no idea why the shop thought keeping the emblem gold would look good tho, I hate it! There isn't one thing on the truck that is gold so I'll probably replace it with a chrome one to break things of a little, my wheels have a little chrome on them so I think it'll work.

The damage, I'm just glad they didn't break the headlights, they cost more than both the lightbar and the insert together. March 10th:

The new face, October 4th: