mounting electric fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikesz

Reaction score
The truck is a '96 and the fans came from an LS1 Camaro. The fans are attached to the shroud only. Removing the 3 top and two bottom shroud bolts allows removing the shroud and fan as a unit. The top and bottom halves of the shroud no longer seperate.

EDIT: adding this from my previous post so it's all in one place.

I just did this. With some modifications the fan fits very nicely into the stock fan shroud. Looks like it's supposed to be there and is secured with the factory bolts. It can be very easily installed and removed. I started with a '96 and up shroud, not sure if they are different on the non Vortec trucks.

1- Trim all the tabs off the Camaro fans.
2- The bottom of the Camaro fans has a bowed out portion that prevents it from fitting all the way down in the core support, place a straight edge across and cut that off. ( not sure if this is really necesary, as I was trying a different mounting scheme at this point)
3- On the shroud there is a molded in line that goes all the way around. It starts just behind where the channel is for the wire that runs across the top and goes between the battery and fuse block. Cut the shroud along that line all the way around.
4- The Camaro fans now fit snugly in the shroud along the top and bottom. I used screws to attach here. There will be a one inch gap on the left and right side, I used great stuff foam to seal it up and painted it black.

Mike

Attachments

• fan2.jpg
    fan2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Fan1.jpg
    Fan1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Awesome! That looks like a really practical and fairly easy way to mount efans. I'll be trying this for sure down the road

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many CFM do these LS1 fans put out? Would it be enough for a carbed chevy 383 stroker making 450hp as a driver