Moonie to needle cluster swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratrod312

Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have to be careful here! Link says cluster is from a V6 truck. Not sure how you'd make the tach work with a V8 engine
On the 1992-1994 clusters apparently there's a capacitor that can be changed out. Haven't done it.. but one would imagine there's a similar circuit in the 1991 needle cluster although it is a very different design overall, the circuitry is bound to have some similarities.

Credit goes to member Chevytech on the Chevytalk forum:

Chevytech said:
To make it read the correct RPM you will need to change capacitor (C103) on the circuit board.
The V6 uses a .0033uf (3300pf), and a V8 uses .002475uf (2475 pf).

Again though this is for the 1992-1994 cluster which has a way different circuit board.

Richard

OLD BLUE 88

Reaction score
That's what I did to ol Smoky. I got a set of Marshall's off evilbay and installed an external DRAC to run my speedo and cruise. They look good and they work good!
You must be registered for see images attach

That's a nice setup! I have an 88 with an almost non-functional cluster. Had to run temporary temp, oil, volt cluster. Now fuel guage is bad. Speedo only functioning. Used units pulled from salvage yards don't work either. Bad harness or bad luck with used units.

Are there instructions on how to do this converstion? I have looked into new ready built clusters, but they are a bit pricey for the nice ones.

Thanks

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 91 with the Moonie cluster and the speedometer doesn't work and I have found a 91 needle cluster and was wondering if I can swap them out and go or is there something I have to do to the needle cluster first? My 91 is a 5 spd and the needle cluster came out of an automatic if that makes any difference

Thank you in advance for any help given!
The '91 needle cluster has the same connector as 88-91. 92-94 use a different connector. Ive replaced the moonies in my '89 with a '91 needle cluster with tach. From my understanding, you need to relocate 3 pins in the connector. I found this info when I did mine -

burkey05

OBS Enthusiast​

ok had a look at the two diagrams - 89 and 91, and here's the differences

Left dir - need to move wire from A11(89 clustrer) to A10(91)

gauge fuse - need to move wire from A10(89) to A9(91)

ground - need to move wire from B15(89) to B11(91)

B15 tach - run wire from coil to B15(91)

all the rest seem to line up correctly

If you look up the member burkey05, you can probably find the thread where I got that info from. I can't tell if it works though. I'm having other electrical problems which have kept me from testing instrument panel function. Good luck!