Moonie to needle cluster swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 91 with the Moonie cluster and the speedometer doesn't work and I have found a 91 needle cluster and was wondering if I can swap them out and go or is there something I have to do to the needle cluster first? My 91 is a 5 spd and the needle cluster came out of an automatic if that makes any difference

Thank you in advance for any help given!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More or less that's a direct swap, with a few "gotchas" -

1. The speedometer may not be correctly calibrated for your axle ratio and tire size. On 88-91 clusters this is done inside the cluster, instead of externally like 92-95. Easy to handle if you're reasonably good at electronics soldering. (see: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/recalibrating-1988-1991-speedometer-dash-cluster.62022/)

2. If the cluster came from a truck with different # of cylinders, tach will not read correctly. In other words V8 for V8, V6 for V6.

3. Simple to swap the blank gear indicator assembly from your old cluster to the new one. Don't chuck the gear indicator and its associated needle/string assembly as someone may need it.

4. Might need to put a bulb in the upshift socket if you care for that functionality.

Richard

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. The speedometer may not be correctly calibrated for your axle ratio and tire size. On 88-91 clusters this is done inside the cluster, instead of externally like 92-95. Easy to handle if you're reasonably good at electronics soldering. (see: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/recalibrating-1988-1991-speedometer-dash-cluster.62022/)

2. If the cluster came from a truck with different # of cylinders, tach will not read correctly. In other words V8 for V8, V6 for V6.

3. Simple to swap the blank gear indicator assembly from your old cluster to the new one. Don't chuck the gear indicator and its associated needle/string assembly as someone may need it.

4. Might need to put a bulb in the upshift socket if you care for that functionality.

Richard
Awesome! Thank you!!

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Richard
Well the cluster was a bust! Drove an hour n 45 minutes just to get there and find out it's not a 91 because the plug on the back is a later model style ,

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well the cluster was a bust! Drove an hour n 45 minutes just to get there and find out it's not a 91 because the plug on the back is a later model style ,
The 1991 needle cluster is kinda rare. Not gonna call it "literal" rare, but it's not even a full year cluster. Many 1991's came with moonies. My suggestion and you've probably already planned on this.. next time them send you a pic of the front and back.

You can convert to a 1992-1994 cluster but it's not a small job.

Richard

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1991 needle cluster is kinda rare. Not gonna call it "literal" rare, but it's not even a full year cluster. Many 1991's came with moonies. My suggestion and you've probably already planned on this.. next time them send you a pic of the front and back.

Richard
Yeah I know they're hard to come by for sure, and I've got a couple other gauge clusters but I don't know if I really wanna go thru all the trouble of having to rewire a different plug and all that at this point lol might just save the money and get an aftermarket set of gauges at this point

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Richard
Even if would've been a Moonie cluster that would've been fine as long as the speedometer worked! I've tried everything that I've found online to fix the speedo and still nothing and that's what's driving me nuts

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at this point lol might just save the money and get an aftermarket set of gauges at this point
That's what I did to ol Smoky. I got a set of Marshall's off evilbay and installed an external DRAC to run my speedo and cruise. They look good and they work good!
You must be registered for see images attach