Is the a difference between the Moonie cluster from automatic to manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got 2 Moonie gauge clusters from a u-pull yard and they both came out of automatic transmission trucks and mine is a 5 speed manual transmission and when we tried swapping them out the truck wouldn't start with the cluster from the automatic. Is there some kind of a difference between the two?

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
U dont need a cluster at all to start / drive it. i moved around a 89 & 91 in our fleetyard several times without clusters. Both were manual as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I believe 88-91, 92-94 is year break down, 95 up takes a different style
88-90 compatible
91 is a one-year cluster whether moonie or needle (both were available)

The catch is, 88-90 and 91 are very similar but 3 wires are in different positions in the connector, so to swap either way you're moving some wires around for it to work correctly.

92-94 compatible
95-up interior redesign so not relevant

As far as automatic vs. manual, the only difference is the gear indicator piece which can simply be removed; it's just a simple mechanical assembly.

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
88-90 compatible
91 is a one-year cluster whether moonie or needle (both were available)

The catch is, 88-90 and 91 are very similar but 3 wires are in different positions in the connector, so to swap either way you're moving some wires around for it to work correctly.

92-94 compatible
95-up interior redesign so not relevant

As far as automatic vs. manual, the only difference is the gear indicator piece which can simply be removed; it's just a simple mechanical assembly.

Richard

I believe the automatics also got an extra illumination bulb for the indicator. The socket is there, but unused with factory manual trans trucks.