Monroe Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
What's the consensus on Monroe shock absorbers for our trucks? I have a 1996 2wd RCLB with the 5.7 Vortec.
I'm looking at some Monroe Max-Air Air Shocks part number MA764 and some Monroe Gas Charged HD shocks part number 20744.
What kind of quality are Monroe shocks and has anyone used the Monroe Max-Air shocks on a GMT400?

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
i have the gas matics up front and have no clonplaints but im maybe about to swap em to rough country with my lift

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
The air shocks or the regular gas charged?

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
The only brands I can find of the type of rear shock I want are Monroe and Gabriel, the shocks that you can add air to for leveling out the suspension when you have weight, and then let the air out of when you're empty.
I can't afford Bilsteins or Ranchos at this point in time, and my shocks all around are blown out or leaking oil.
Isn't rancho primarily offroad oriented anyway? I have a stock 2wd that I don't plan on wheeling or anything.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
oh ok, my truck had that style when I bought it. I didn't like them at all so I tossed them. I would guess they were Gabriel. You could always get helpers for your leafs.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
My leaves are also shot.
My dad used to have a 1/2 ton NBS with them, they were pretty handy and he liked them. My leaf springs are also shot. Who knew suspension components wear out at 194k?
So my best bet for what I can afford would be the Gabriel air shocks and probably Gabriel gas charged fronts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
not sure I bet they all do. Your money could be better spent bilsteins or ranchos

+1 for the Bilsteins, not so much on the Ranchos though. Fun fact, Rancho is actually owned by the same company as Monroe. If I were you 96C1500 I'd get Bilstein HDs from http://www.eshocks.com (for much cheaper than anywhere else) and replace your leaf springs when you can afford it. The Bilsteins really aren't that much more money than other options and they're great.

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had Monroe shocks (they were there cheaper ones tho) didn't like them one bit, just threw a set of Belltech shocks on rides mint now