lug nut cover questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I put a set of PY0 wheels on my truck this week with the GMT400 center caps and I am catching hell trying to get the lug nut covers to stay on. Its only a miscellaneous few that won't stay but its driving me nuts. Every time I get home I have to replace a few. Is there a different style nut or part I need seems like I remember some talk about different length ones in somebody's build thread...

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they Dorman? Mine fall of constantly too. Seems like only the oem GM caps will ever stay on... Too bad they're $5 each :nono:

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
iirc you need to cut the nubs off the back of the centers 88gmctruck had a set on his old diesel

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they Dorman? Mine fall of constantly too. Seems like only the oem GM caps will ever stay on... Too bad they're $5 each :nono:

No mine are all OEM I got a pile of them the last time I hit the junkyard.

iirc you need to cut the nubs off the back of the centers 88gmctruck had a set on his old diesel

I'll check that out today.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno about the centers you have, but I've noticed a lot of the GM centers have nubs you can actually pop the little insert out of; it's like a plastic peg stuck into a hole. Gentle work w/pliers and they come out, netting you maybe another 1/32" clearance.

Also, there are some combos where the typical lug caps just don't have enough thread. It sucks to have to lay out more bucks for something that seems so common, but the far-less-common version used on the early 89-90 5-spoke alloy wheel are taller with more thread engagement. I had to use these to get a real good bite on the Asto van caps I installed on squarebody Rally's. LMC has them but $2/ea back when I bought...dunno about now. They're 20mm instead of 14mm depth.

Richard

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the center caps and saw the little tabs and broke them off, still no dice a number of the covers still won't grab.

Dunno about the centers you have, but I've noticed a lot of the GM centers have nubs you can actually pop the little insert out of; it's like a plastic peg stuck into a hole. Gentle work w/pliers and they come out, netting you maybe another 1/32" clearance.

Also, there are some combos where the typical lug caps just don't have enough thread. It sucks to have to lay out more bucks for something that seems so common, but the far-less-common version used on the early 89-90 5-spoke alloy wheel are taller with more thread engagement. I had to use these to get a real good bite on the Asto van caps I installed on squarebody Rally's. LMC has them but $2/ea back when I bought...dunno about now. They're 20mm instead of 14mm depth.

Richard

Any part number on those nut covers or should I just look on LMC for the 2$ a piece wheel nut covers?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You look for 20mm depth instead of 14mm. It's indicated in the catalog. Keep in mind these will only help if your problem is that you can only get a turn or two out of the regular ones, which isn't enough for them to get a solid bite. The 20mm ones will give you more turns of thread to hold them on.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the problem sounds like what I'm describing, you're only getting a turn or two out of the 14mm caps...then you gotta make a decision. You want to spend some money on something that will solve the problem, or you want your center caps to fall off. :D

Richard

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the problem sounds like what I'm describing, you're only getting a turn or two out of the 14mm caps...then you gotta make a decision. You want to spend some money on something that will solve the problem, or you want your center caps to fall off. :D

Richard

Yep story of my life.