Question About Rear Diff Pinion Nut Tolerances

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
I am currently rebuilding the rear end on my pickup, and I've gotten to the point of installing my pinion gear. I am using the old pinion/ring gears, but I replaced all of the bearings and races. From what I've found on GMT400 and multiple other websites, you should tighten the pinion nut until it takes about 18in-lbs to spin the pinion gear without any other load, and without the carrier assembly. Using a Milwaukee impact, I couldn't get the crush ring to crush, so I used a my CP air impact and got it to turn about 1/8 of a turn. Re-checked it, and it takes about 20-25in-lbs to spin the pinion gear. The bearings are dry. Is 20-25in-lbs okay? Or, is 18in-lbs a MUST, and I need to pull it apart to replace the crush ring?

Thanks in advanced.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Lube the bearing and recheck the preload. You are using a beam type in.lb. torque wrench correct?

MotoMex25

Reaction score
i tried pouring oil through a port up top, while simultaneously spinning the pinion on a low drill speed. After that, it measured somewhat similar, if anything, it dropped to an even 20in-lbs. Also yes, I am using a beam style torque wrench.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
i tried pouring oil through a port up top, while simultaneously spinning the pinion on a low drill speed. After that, it measured somewhat similar, if anything, it dropped to an even 20in-lbs. Also yes, I am using a beam style torque wrench.
Send it.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
Sounds good, I agree I think it'll be okay. I might hold off for just a day or so to see if anyone else has any input, but I think you're right. Thanks :cool:

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Sounds good, I agree I think it'll be okay. I might hold off for just a day or so to see if anyone else has any input, but I think you're right. Thanks :cool:
I am willing to bet that if the seal was not installed you would have hit it right on spec. I can't remember how many of these diffs I have done over the last 40 years but any time you are that close it is GTG.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My book says 10-19”# with new bearings, you should be good to go at 20. But next time don’t install the bearings without a little gear oil.