LSD or nah?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because if you don't you will break literally everything. Think of the "wheel scrubbing" you're describing experiencing now with your open factory front diff, and amplify that by about a thousand. If you lock it, it will steer like trash and stress your front end big time. The only time you'd want a locker in the front of anything is if it was manually selectable, like an eLocker or air locker, or if you had manual locking hubs so you have some way to unlock when necessary. Neither of these options are readily available for our front diffs to my knowledge.

As far as upgrades for the rear carrier, personally I say go Eaton or go home. TrueTrac is excellent if you do mostly street driving, I have one in my Monte Carlo and it is very quiet and smooth on the street. The only drawback is that if you're ever in a situation where one wheel is off the ground, the TrueTrac will spin the wheel with least resistance unless you apply some brake to even things out. If you're going to use the truck like a truck, I'd go Detroit Locker. They are a lot more similar to the factory G80s, except they work properly and don't have all the awful safety features and design flaws that the G80 lockers had. When they sense a difference in wheel speed and you're on the throttle, the Detroit Locker will lock up hard and send power to both rear wheels until you let off the gas again, regardless of traction conditions.

Makes sense. I wasn't suggesting doing a locker up front. Just figured an LSD of some type would be good so it's not a one-legger. I've seen guys trying to get up little inclines with
s-10's that have open diffs and one wheel always spins out instead of sending power to the wheel with traction. Kind of useless off road. Thx for the info.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you get a posi on your truck watch out on wet payment the rear will try to get away from you so be safe.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because if you don't you will break literally everything. Think of the "wheel scrubbing" you're describing experiencing now with your open factory front diff, and amplify that by about a thousand. If you lock it, it will steer like trash and stress your front end big time. The only time you'd want a locker in the front of anything is if it was manually selectable, like an eLocker or air locker, or if you had manual locking hubs so you have some way to unlock when necessary. Neither of these options are readily available for our front diffs to my knowledge.

As far as upgrades for the rear carrier, personally I say go Eaton or go home. TrueTrac is excellent if you do mostly street driving, I have one in my Monte Carlo and it is very quiet and smooth on the street. The only drawback is that if you're ever in a situation where one wheel is off the ground, the TrueTrac will spin the wheel with least resistance unless you apply some brake to even things out. If you're going to use the truck like a truck, I'd go Detroit Locker. They are a lot more similar to the factory G80s, except they work properly and don't have all the awful safety features and design flaws that the G80 lockers had. When they sense a difference in wheel speed and you're on the throttle, the Detroit Locker will lock up hard and send power to both rear wheels until you let off the gas again, regardless of traction conditions.

From my understanding the true sends torque to the high traction wheel

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From my understanding the true sends torque to the high traction wheel

I can tell you from personal experience that this is true, but only if both wheels have some traction. The moment one wheel drops to zero traction all the torque will take the path of least resistance and spin that wheel. A little pressure on the brake pedal will create some resistance on the no traction wheel and transfer some torque, though.