LSD or nah?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No lockers in the front, passanger rear tireand driver front tire will only spin. There have been occasions when i had an open diff that itd spin posi

Nice. My 4wd truck is actually 1x2x2. Lmao

Lifted92

Reaction score
I've heard good things about detroit true tracs, and honestly I know everybody dogs the g80 for blowing up, but if you treat it right I'd like to have one since it LOCKS both tires 50/50 instead of limited slip

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. If the front diffs are all open, why do I get tire scrub when engaged?

Also, assuming I have an open rear diff - what options are there for LSD's in these 14 bolt / 9.5" diffs?

My concern is while in 2wd and pulling out into faster moving traffic in a low traction situation (such as rain). Right now if I were to accelerate into traffic while turning onto a road, my inside tire gets zero torque. This makes the outside tire spin and I go nowhere. Causing traffic I pulled out in front of to slow or have to stop. This is stupid. I have a FWD car with open diff that doesn't do this. Anyway, an LSD would prob work better off road too since I do hit some steep angles on occasion when trying to reach a camp site.

Hit me with your wisdom. Thx

Because you're wheels are turned they can't follow a consistent arc on both sides. Both wheels WILL drive when they have equal traction (both on dry pavement)

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because you're wheels are turned they can't follow a consistent arc on both sides. Both wheels WILL drive when they have equal traction (both on dry pavement)

Based on that logic everything with wheels and a steering wheel would have this issue regardless of driven wheels. Are you saying that the steering geometry from GM is flawed? This only happens when 4wd is engaged. So when it's in 2wd the steering geometry doesn't change but I don't experience this issue. Maybe this a moot point since I will only engage 4wd when in dirt or on snow where tire scrub isn't an issue. I'm just curious why this is. My friends k2500 does the same thing according to him so I don't think it's isolated to my truck.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with Detroit locker in rear. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one myself

Leave the front open

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with Detroit locker in rear. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one myself

Leave the front open

Lifted92 mentioned Detroit truetrac also. Gotta do some research. Why leave the front open?

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If youre driving in 4wd on hard oavement or hard oacked dirt, you will get tire scrub. Thats normal. Its the same as having both wheels on the same axle locked in a turn. The front wheels turn faster than the rear wheels while turning. If the front wheels scrub while in 2wd, something isnt right. Could be the spider gears seizing in the front axle, spider fears broken, chunk of broken ring gear stuck in spider gears, or someone played a bad trick on you and lincoln locked the front end.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If youre driving in 4wd on hard oavement or hard oacked dirt, you will get tire scrub. Thats normal. Its the same as having both wheels on the same axle locked in a turn. The front wheels turn faster than the rear wheels while turning. If the front wheels scrub while in 2wd, something isnt right. Could be the spider gears seizing in the front axle, spider fears broken, chunk of broken ring gear stuck in spider gears, or someone played a bad trick on you and lincoln locked the front end.

I doubt it's Lincoln locked. Lol.
What you say makes sense for a locking diff. That's the fundamental question I was raising in this thread. Btw - this only happens in 4wd.
If the front axle has an open diff as it is purported to, then why would rotational differences between the inside and outside tire be an issue? Tire scrub is what an open diff is supposed to prevent. So mayyyyyybe "some" these front diffs are factory lockers?? I guess I need to do a vin check and verify that way. This question seems to be a point of contention or speculation.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I geuss I confused you. Your front diff is an open. Im saying that when the front and rear axles are locked together in 4wd, it will act like a locker in the same axle. The front ring gear will spin faster than the rear axle ring gear, causing binding and noisey cornering. That is normal on hard pavement or other grabby surfaces. Its not good on the truck to have it in 4wd on road. The front end would scrub all the time if it was locked, not just in 4wd.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why leave the front open?

Because if you don't you will break literally everything. Think of the "wheel scrubbing" you're describing experiencing now with your open factory front diff, and amplify that by about a thousand. If you lock it, it will steer like trash and stress your front end big time. The only time you'd want a locker in the front of anything is if it was manually selectable, like an eLocker or air locker, or if you had manual locking hubs so you have some way to unlock when necessary. Neither of these options are readily available for our front diffs to my knowledge.

As far as upgrades for the rear carrier, personally I say go Eaton or go home. TrueTrac is excellent if you do mostly street driving, I have one in my Monte Carlo and it is very quiet and smooth on the street. The only drawback is that if you're ever in a situation where one wheel is off the ground, the TrueTrac will spin the wheel with least resistance unless you apply some brake to even things out. If you're going to use the truck like a truck, I'd go Detroit Locker. They are a lot more similar to the factory G80s, except they work properly and don't have all the awful safety features and design flaws that the G80 lockers had. When they sense a difference in wheel speed and you're on the throttle, the Detroit Locker will lock up hard and send power to both rear wheels until you let off the gas again, regardless of traction conditions.