Low beams go off when tilt wheel is raised!! Need a little help please..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headlights work fine until I tilt the steering column up, then the lights go OFF.
When I tilt the column down they come back on.
With the high beams on there is no issue, I can move the column up, down and the lights stay on.

The column is still pretty tight........

I've seen a couple posts about changing the wiper/turn signal switch, but none really explained how to do this.

I'm thinking there is a broken wire in there and the switch assembly needs to be replaced.
Does the air bag and steering wheel need to be removed to r&r the switch?
I don't like rigging things so I won't just go in and repair a wire and will probablly buy a new switch if thats whats needed.

I could go practice at the salvage yard before doing the real job on my truck..

Any suggestions?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My camaro does the same thing. From what I remember reading online, GM used a long rod in the column that went from the high beam switch to the flip switch on the firewall at the bottom of the column. That is the area that has a few screws that loosen up over time. It is a very common problem with these trucks and the 3rd gen fbodies. Im pretty sure there is some tech write ups on how to fix it.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, well, my low beams are now completly gone. I've found that this is called the Multifunction Switch.
There are videos on youtube showing how to R&R these. Dosnt look too difficult. First thing on my list on my next day off.
Will probablly practice at the local yard...
I'll check for the loose screws too as Z28 mentioned above..

Funny thing...I've noticed a lot of gmt400's running around with their lights off or just parking lights on, when everyone else had on their head lights.....

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the problem to be a loose conection at the multifunction switch. I had a new (used) switch to insall, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the air bag (1995)

So, I used a zip tie and pulled the wires tight to the switch....

How do you remove the air bag? I've read that you need to use a mechanical pencil to push on the tabs on the back side of the steering wheel....Does anyone know how to do this?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do it by pressing thin screwdrivers up the holes behind it and unlocking the tabs. Use a mirror when it is sunny out to see. It is not too bad, should take a couple minutes. Make sure to disconnect the plug for the air bag by the firewall.

Jeff

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, I'll practice on one in the Pull a Part. Ive heard you need to disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes for the air bag capacitors to disapate the charge. I even cussed a little, but that didnt help..
At least I have my low beams back