Brake lights go on when ignition turned on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2000 C1500 that has me baffled. I just put in a new steering column as the wires from the old one were burnt out. I plugged everything in, and when I turn on the ignition, the brake lights go on. The 3rd brake light doesn't light up though. Signals work, but can't figure out the brake light system. Anyone else have a similar problem? I read somewhere that a bad ground can do this. There's only about 100 of them to check. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Shwa Kid

Reaction score
Find a wiring diagram and look for common points in what you're seeing (I don't have one that new or I'd share), for example both of those rear lights come on with the 4-way flasher (front lights would likely both be on too though). Does the 3rd brake light still function properly? Usually when the brake pedal switch fails it turns the lights on, I think the 3rd brake light is on a separate connection there. Double check all your connections and make sure you didn't squish any wires where the column mounts under the dash.