looking for a Bolt on Y-pipe upgrade for a 96 vortec..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmt61

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My 5.0 in my '96 feels pretty anemic with the 3.42 gears. I still have good tires on it, so for the meantime im looking to get some more power out of it before I regear and lift it in the spring. I have read the factory Y pipe is a massive bottleneck on the system in these trucks.

Went down to the local exhaust shop...guy stared at me like I was an idiot and told me it would be around $500 to make me a new Y pipe...yes $500

I was planning on getting the PCM tuned and the rear O2's tuned out so I can run without a cat...

Does anybody make a bolt on setup for my truck thats an upgrade with or without a cat? For $500 i'll send my PCM out to get done and buy the parts and install them myself. I looked at shorty headers as well but the vortec ones are a small fortune and im not looking to remove the EGR at this moment.

Thanks guys!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's nearly as big of a restriction as you're making it out to be, but for what it's worth here's what I used when I re-did my exhaust on my red truck. Mine's the 4.3, but according to everything I've seen you should have the exact same exhaust setup that I did from the factory.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-23457

Not sure if it's much better than factory, but I needed a new cat anyway.

Side note, shorty headers for Vortecs really aren't that bad as long as you're not looking at the super fancy stainless ones. I run Pacesetter painted shorties on my V6 truck and they were around $180 IIRC. Here's a set with EGR provisions for $200.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9016

Truth of the matter is though, you'll notice the gains from a custom tune more than all of the exhaust stuff put together. My BBP tune made more difference than anything else I've done to the red truck.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered this one for my Vortec 350.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C938XA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

(The forum changed my link. You can find the product on Amazon cheaper.)

Not thrilled about the ripple bends but they are 2.5" pipes to a 3" collector. I plan on running a single 3" cat-back.

That y pipe is for a 95 and newer so I believe it will need an extra exhaust bung welded on the passenger side.

Here is a pic of the 3/4 ton y-pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Certainly an upgrade over stock but not a bolt in solution.

What do you have for a muffler? Stock?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Certainly an upgrade over stock but not a bolt in solution.

This is why I didn't go there. I mean sure you can do this if you really want, but you'll also be changing the entire exhaust system from the headers back. He's got the single pipe setup like my V6 truck.

jmt61

Reaction score
This is why I didn't go there. I mean sure you can do this if you really want, but you'll also be changing the entire exhaust system from the headers back. He's got the single pipe setup like my V6 truck.

I am 99% sure i have the dual in/single out muffler from the factory. I think im going to get the Jeg's offroad Y-pipe and just install it myself. The same shop that gave me the insane quote on building a downpipe can magically bend me up a 3" exhaust for $200 if I supply the muffler. Sometimes living in rural ohio blows.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put together my own 3" cat-back system using information from this thread. It's a really good thread if you haven't seen it.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...Pipe-on-a-Vortec-3%94-SI-SO-Exhaust-for-Burbs

I haven't installed my stuff yet...

I also added 3" Flowmaster High flow cat and Flowmaster Muffler.

Technically, it all can be clamped together so there is no need for a shop. I have a welder so I'm going to weld most of mine and install some flanges so I can take it apart if I need to.

jmt61

Reaction score
im leaning towards the Jegs offroad Y pipe after i get my tune.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am 99% sure i have the dual in/single out muffler from the factory.

You'd better crawl under there and check before you order anything. If you do have a DI/SO muffler, you didn't have it from the factory. When I redid the exhaust on my V6 truck I saw that the 305s shared the same setup. Just double checked and Summit, Jegs and Rock Auto all list the Vortec 305s as a single pipe setup from the Y pipe back.