looking for a Bolt on Y-pipe upgrade for a 96 vortec..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I put together my own 3" cat-back system using information from this thread. It's a really good thread if you haven't seen it.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...Pipe-on-a-Vortec-3%94-SI-SO-Exhaust-for-Burbs

I haven't installed my stuff yet...

You must be registered for see images attach

I also added 3" Flowmaster High flow cat and Flowmaster Muffler.

Technically, it all can be clamped together so there is no need for a shop. I have a welder so I'm going to weld most of mine and install some flanges so I can take it apart if I need to.

GMRedline, did you ever get this system installed? Curious to see how the y-pipe lined up. I'm getting ready to do the exhaust on my '98 Z71 and want to do away with the factory 1 7/8" garbage. 2500's around here with usable exhaust don't exist, so I'm working on other options.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I just put tri y's on my 97, and have the manifolds and remnants of the y pipe on my work bench. A couple of pics to show just how restrictive they must be.

The pipe has an ID of about 1 5/8". This is probably why there are limited performance increases with short tube headers bolted up to the stock y pipes.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put tri y's on my 97, and have the manifolds and remnants of the y pipe on my work bench. A couple of pics to show just how restrictive they must be.

The pipe has an ID of about 1 5/8". This is probably why there are limited performance increases with short tube headers bolted up to the stock y pipes.
Are you using the Walker y-pipe ?

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. But I finished the install on this lift this weekend.

I put some BP Blaster on all the nuts. On 3 out of the 6 header to dp bolts broke loose. I've been lifting it up every other day to apply more BP Blaster.