looking for a Bolt on Y-pipe upgrade for a 96 vortec..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
That Walker pipe looks like a T pipe lol.

My 3/4 ton pipe necks down at the collector and pinches pretty far at the bends as well.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That Walker pipe looks like a T pipe lol.

My 3/4 ton pipe necks down at the collector and pinches pretty far at the bends as well.

I'm not a big fan of the crush bends but it was the cheapest way to get from the stock manifolds to a 3" outlet. It's still way better then the factory 1500 pipes. I should take a side by side pic comparing the two.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
I put together my own 3" cat-back system using information from this thread. It's a really good thread if you haven't seen it.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...Pipe-on-a-Vortec-3%94-SI-SO-Exhaust-for-Burbs

I haven't installed my stuff yet...

You must be registered for see images attach

I also added 3" Flowmaster High flow cat and Flowmaster Muffler.

Technically, it all can be clamped together so there is no need for a shop. I have a welder so I'm going to weld most of mine and install some flanges so I can take it apart if I need to.

Do you remember what the inlet diameter of the y pipe was?

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Magnaflow Y pipe for the TBI trucks is great,fits 4.3 vortec but needs a post catO2 bung and for the vortec trucks upgrading to the bigger 3/4 and 1 ton down pipes is a good upgrade.
full

Last edited:

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put tri y's on my 97, and have the manifolds and remnants of the y pipe on my work bench. A couple of pics to show just how restrictive they must be. Is the outlet on the factory manifold larger than the Y pipe?

The pipe has an ID of about 1 5/8". This is probably why there are limited performance increases with short tube headers bolted up to the stock y pipes.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score

The outlet is larger, but I don't know by how much. Those parts are long gone now. Probably the biggest issue on the stock y pipe is how much it gets pinched down in the bends.