Look What I Dragged Home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Diablo

Reaction score
85 F-250 4x4 Diesel
Title say 8500 trailer is 2000
Gear and people roughly 1000
Total weight 11K :jawdrop:
She did great didn't even feel the load.
You must be registered for see images attach

mistaake

Reaction score
Don't know what the story behind that Ford is but if/when it's running and driving I'd love to know your impression of it. There's a $750 crew cab 6.9 idi c6 auto 4x4 around here that I'm considering and supposedly it just needs a head gasket replacement.

But mainly I'm wondering how the 6.9 is in terms of acceleration - i imagine it's comparable to a gm 6.2 diesel but not only is that a bad comparison because i've never ridden in or driven a gm 6.2 or even 6.5 but the 6.9 idi in question has a banks turbo. Are they a pain to work on? i seem to notice that fords have very cluttered engine bays. Also, does the 6.9 idi blow a bit of smoke or is it pretty clean running? And final question does that b*tch scream on the highway or is it reasonable quiet... well, i guess I should wait until you have it running to ask these questions :)

I know this is a GM forum but that body style of ford trucks is my favorite of all the fords.

And, uh, nice Burb you got there!

El Diablo

Reaction score
Mistake....
This is my 3rd ford with a idi(6.9)
First was a 86 with a ATS turbo kit and 3.55 gears it had no problem doing $85+
Second was a 86 N/A still had good power toped out at $75
3rd is the one in pic working on getting it running as we speak.

I would jump on that truck being a F-350 it will have a D60 highly sought after front end
The 6.9-7.3 idi's are very simple to work on kind of like a 1st gen cummins no electrical junk. Banks still makes parts for there idi turbos.
If you have 4.10s and a c6 yes it'll scream and top out at 65
A good running idi will get 18 mostly but I've seen 22 in a 2wd.
If your looking for MPGs the 6.2-6.5 is what you want. If you want torque moderate sped the idi is for you.

mistaake

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - I think that covers most of my concerns! If it's still available when I have some cash, I'll give it more serious thought. It's just kind of hard for me to swallow that I might be buying a Ford ;) I'll do some reading on that IDI forum you linked to. I bet all my other random questions are answered there.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/5418968299.html

^that's the truck. $2500 with GV OD $750 without. If he removes the GV OD do I need new driveshafts or something?

I live about 120mi away, and my office where I'd rather have it so I can work on it is 150mi away. If I can limp it those 20-50mi (or even all the way) that would be graet. I can have AAA tow it the rest of the way (100 mile towing limit). I don't have a trailer and my friend's 7.3 Powerstroke F-550 is broken so he can't help me.

I just wonder when they say it needs a head gasket, how they came to that conclusion, and what the actual issue with the truck is. I don't have the resources to swap the whole engine so if the bottom end is f*cked then I'm f*cked too. My friend with the F-550 (big Ford fanboy and GM hater, though his Ford is broken and he drives a GMC Envoy daily, I just don't get it) agreed to help me fix whatever the issue is short of a whole engine swap. He doesn't think the head gaskets are hard to change.

I'd rather have more power than slightly better MPG. I'm not going to expect 50MPG from a (maybe to be lifted) 4x4 crew cab one ton pickup LOL. It won't be my daily driver anyway.

El Diablo

Reaction score
Be sure to check out the FAQ also.

Blown heads are common for turboed IDIs. Head gaskets are fairly simple to do you would want studs while you have the heads off. You can keep the driveshafts.

I'm not a die hard Chevy or ford guy. I own both and I beat on both they just going and going.

mistaake

Reaction score
Be sure to check out the FAQ also.

Blown heads are common for turboed IDIs. Head gaskets are fairly simple to do you would want studs while you have the heads off. You can keep the driveshafts.

I'm not a die hard Chevy or ford guy. I own both and I beat on both they just going and going.

If I end up buying it, depending on how failed the head gaskets are, do you think I'd be an idiot to try to and drive it at least part of the way home?

El Diablo

Reaction score
Ok I'm seeing some red flags in ad.
1 It should have a D60 not s D50
2 it should have a Sterling rear axle not a D70
If the front axle is a d60 straight don't tell the seller he might up his price.

mistaake

Reaction score
Ok I'm seeing some red flags in ad.
1 It should have a D60 not s D50
2 it should have a Sterling rear axle not a D70
If the front axle is a d60 straight don't tell the seller he might up his price.

So... seller is an idiot, or stuff has been swapped out?

I'm hesitant on the truck because unsure how to get it home.

I think I'm going to hold out for a Chevy/GMC - I simply know them a bit better.

Still look forward to hearing how the Ford turns out once ya fix it!