Long tube header options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys which headers fit best in the TBI engine bay? 4x4 truck, 5.7. My first mod to the truck will be headers and true duals. Eventually it will be turbocharged but that’s a ways down the road.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys which headers fit best in the TBI engine bay? My first mod to the truck will be headers and true duals. Eventually it will be turbocharged but that’s a ways down the road.
If it's for the 4x4, and I think I'm correct, the consensus is there are no long tubes that fit. I could be wrong, but this seems to pop up all the time on here.
I believe Speedway claim theirs fit, but they don't.
I have Herman's on my 2x, no issues with fitment other than failing to follow the instructions the first time and thought we could get them in without removing the starter. We were wrong.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am running Hedman 69840 Elite Ultra-Duty HTC Coated Full Length Headers on my 1988 K1500 GMC with the 350 TBI and 700R4 Trans. They are an excellent fit but the ball socket arrangement that connects the 3" to 2.5" reducers to the collectors are a PITA to keep tightly secured, the bolts keep coming loose over time.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks yes I would avoid those socket style flanges. On my LS engines I run speed engineering headers with V band flanges welded on. The V bands are great, no leaks and easy to take apart or put back together. I actually have 6 v bands in my Yukons exhaust system so it can be taken apart easily for a trans swap etc. I don’t use exhaust kits I just pay a shop to mandrel bend the pipes custom and fully weld each connection.

My neighbour actually sells these high end v bands, mostly for turbo applications but very handy!

For the Yukon i went with reducers to 2” for true duals as that’s enough flow for a 5.3. On my truck with a 6.0 I did the same setup except dual 2.5”.

Attachments

• IMG_7770.jpeg
    IMG_7770.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7719.jpeg
    IMG_7719.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7720.jpeg
    IMG_7720.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For fueling I would love to do a dual TBI setup, that would be cool. Maybe run a mega squirt computer?

L31max van chime in?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the "Exhaust" sub-forum.

I just pay a shop to mandrel bend the pipes custom and fully weld each connection.
Lucky bastage. There's no shop anywhere close to me that can mandrel-bend exhaust tubing. It's crush-bent or nothing at the shops.

I have to buy mandrel bends from Summit or similar, then cut 'n' weld 'em up myself.