Lifter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiGorda

Reaction score
There's a fair chance that the cam lobe was on it's way out at this point, which is why you heard "ticking".

Possible. Worth checking. As said...get that cylinder on TDC-Compression (NOT TDC-Exhaust) and put compressed air in the cylinder. Hissing at the throttle body is a leaking intake valve. Hissing at the tailpipe is a leaking exhaust valve. Bubbles in the radiator are a failed head gasket, or a cracked casting. Hissing at the oil-fill cap can be normal, there's always some leakage past the rings. A real, live cylinder leakdown tester used with compressed air can tell you if the ring leakage is acceptable or excessive...but all you need is compressed air to know if the valves seal.

If it didn't pull right out with your fingers...there's problems with the bottom of the lifter.
Ok, you are right, there is a hole in the bottom of the lifter, so either the cam is worn, I need to replace both, lifters and cam.

But now I'm concern about the knocking noise, if the cam lobe is totally worn out and can´t move the rocker arm, what is making that hammering, I guess the only response is the valve damaged, anyway I´ll comment to my mechanic your recomendations.

I´ll open a thread about the new cam, I have a concerns about it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks Schurkey

MiGorda

Reaction score
You mentioned a cam/lifter kit. I'm not seeing springs mentioned. Nothing to explain and the part number you reference refers to a cam and lifter kit without springs so .......there ya have it.
Ok, in the first post didn´t mention it but on the second page you can see the part number, corresponds to the whole kit. Anyway thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I´ll open a thread about the new cam, I have a concerns about it.
Might as well keep everything in this same thread. Then everyone knows the back-story.

Thanks Schurkey
Appreciated...but Hipster and two others told you essentially the same thing before I got involved.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, in the first post didn´t mention it but on the second page you can see the part number, corresponds to the whole kit. Anyway thanks.
Holy smokes man, This is part number you posted I didn't see anythink that referenced a number ending in K.

Last edited:

MiGorda

Reaction score
Yes but you were clear enough, those partners just told me that the damage was bigger, period. Anyway my mechanic would see the damage and I just wanted to the lower damage as an option.

Anyway thanks to all of you.

MiGorda

Reaction score
Holy smokes man, This is part number you posted
Hmm, where?
Holy smokes man, This is part number you posted
Nope, in this thread you can check post #12, it's the same but without the L.

At my prior thread you can see post #15, mentioned I got the whole kit.

Anyway thanks Hipster.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but you were clear enough, those partners just told me that the damage was bigger, period. Anyway my mechanic would see the damage and I just wanted to the lower damage as an option.

Anyway thanks to all of you.
Hmm, where?

Nope, in this thread you can check post #12, it's the same but without the L.

At my prior thread you can see post #15, mentioned I got the whole kit.

Anyway thanks Hipster.
Kind of irrelevant but glad you dug deeper and posted a few pics, I didn't see a (K) kit, thought you have mentioned stock springs, I couldn't make it any clearer and consise than I did in post 2. The end result after all the nonsense was the same. Optimism, is certain situations. is almost, but not quite,like denial.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my earlier post, it was my understanding that you'd played around with the rocker arm and then tried pulling the lifter out and broke it. I've had lifters that were perfectly good be a little sticky sometimes, so I gave you advice based on that, hoping you'd just grabbed the lifter wrong.

The video makes it clear that it's more seriously dorked. The fact that the entire bottom of the lifter is gone points the finger directly at the cam and lifter. It's toast. Burnt toast. I'd pull the engine and go through it. Take the opportunity to check all the pushrods and valves for straightness. Flush out the oil passages. Check the bearings for imbedded bits.

That also gives you the opportunity to pitch all that flat-tappet stuff right in the scrap metal bin and go roller. If you don't have roller provisions, there are inexpensive workarounds. Do it. You've been bitten, learn from it.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But now I'm concern about the knocking noise, if the cam lobe is totally worn out and can´t move the rocker arm, what is making that hammering, I guess the only response is the valve damaged, anyway I´ll comment to my mechanic your recomendations.

I didn't listen, but it's probably Uncle Rodney (aka rod knock).

MiGorda

Reaction score
In my earlier post, it was my understanding that you'd played around with the rocker arm and then tried pulling the lifter out and broke it. I've had lifters that were perfectly good be a little sticky sometimes, so I gave you advice based on that, hoping you'd just grabbed the lifter wrong.

The video makes it clear that it's more seriously dorked. The fact that the entire bottom of the lifter is gone points the finger directly at the cam and lifter. It's toast. Burnt toast. I'd pull the engine and go through it. Take the opportunity to check all the pushrods and valves for straightness. Flush out the oil passages. Check the bearings for imbedded bits.

That also gives you the opportunity to pitch all that flat-tappet stuff right in the scrap metal bin and go roller. If you don't have roller provisions, there are inexpensive workarounds. Do it. You've been bitten, learn from it.
Now I know that is a must to replace the cam but going roller...hmm I don´t think so, would be nice but I need to spent as less as possible.

The good think is that with this cam, the engine is wasting more gas, I had a Vodoo less agressive and gave me a better consumption, current cam can´t be manage by the PCM so I´ll go one step backwards. Because my plan was to reprogram the PCM but now I can´t.

Thanks Erik

Last edited: