Replacing Filler Neck Evap Vent Tube with Copper water pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with copper tube is that it vibrates/flexes, that causes it to work-harden, which results in cracks.

A short section that is well-isolated won't be flexing. It wouldn't work-harden, and thus it shouldn't crack.

And...if it cracks, it's not under pressure from liquid gasoline. The only pressure it sees--which isn't much--would be vapor. No worse than your perforated steel tube.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The part is available on Summit. It just won’t ship until 1/8/2024 IF you order today.
Wow, will you look at that. Impossible lead time, but it actually exists. At least I now have an actual part number should the copper pipe fail in the future. Thx!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warning: If Summit says it's not in stock, you may not ever get it. I ordered a set of Summit branded head bolts Sept 16th, and they estimated a Nov 10th ship date. I checked on Friday and they now have a Dec 31st ship date. Last year I ordered a sending unit for an aftermarket fuel gauge, and after two months of waiting they cancelled the order, saying the part was no longer available.

I don't think it's Summit's fault, they're being proactive at selling parts for their suppliers. I work in logistics, and you really have to have a good relationship with your suppliers. You and your suppliers also have to act with competence. I think in Summit's case their suppliers don't always communicate their intentions to start or stop their production lines. If it's a part with Summit's own brand name stamped on it, it points to incompetence at the supplier. Remember, the world is run by C students.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but you'll want your eyes open if you order something Summit says is not in stock.