lift questions.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10ac

Reaction score
i just purchased a 1996 chevy k1500 z71 regular cab 5.7 v-8. it had a 3" body lift on it. i just installed 1 1/2" rear blocks and 2" lift torsion bar keys. i also installed a set of 4 rancho hydraulic shocks on it new. the problem is it rides rough as hell!!! is that normal? i didnt think it would effect the ride that much.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you should have came here first before buying anything. You wasted money on the lift keys, the stock can crank it just as high as they aftermarket ones, so they did nothing.

ride rough, yes, anytime you crank the torsion bars it rides stiffer. No way around it except with the 4 or 6 inch lift kit to where you can decrank the front.

10ac

Reaction score
dang it!!! well i was gonna buy the lift kit but i wanted to do this for now till i can save up for a bigger better lift. my front tires were rubbing the back lower fender so i did this. well lesson learned. just making sure it was normal for it to be that rough. thanks man!!

10ac

Reaction score
by the way.... how do i reset the airbag light? it just came on. it was off. hmmmmm

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cranking = Rough ride and much more wear on front end parts! Like swims said the stock keys would have cranked up as much as aftermarket ones.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i cant help you with the last question but just wondering you said it rubed before the keys. did it after words? sorry just wanting to hear your experiences

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say probably not, cranking stock keys or aftermarket ones will get you some lift. The aftermarket ones don't get you more lift then the stock ones though. The only reason they may ever make any difference is if the torsion bars are sagging due to age, and if so throwing on aftermarket keys is gonna be like putting new tires on because your rims are warped, bent or broke, it aint gonna do much of anything.

10ac

Reaction score
so now.. it doesnt rub now. i had 33x12.5x15 tires and if i steered and hit a bump...it hit my fender in the back area. now it doesnt with the new keys.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think what Cris is saying is that the keys didnt get you that lift, its when you cranked the bars further. Nothing wrong with putting new parts in an old truck, but you could have a saved a few bucks and just cranked on the stockers

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep, stock would lift it the same, you just needed the keys cranked to clear, stock or aftermarket, down side both ride rough.