Leaking power steering line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 94 k1500 suburban 5.7l tbi. One of the lines, presumably the high pressure line, is spraying fluid all over the place. I want to replace both lines but it looks like I would have to pull the pump to do that. Does anyone know what the easiest way to get in there and pull the lines is? Can it be done from under the truck with the pump still installed?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 94 k1500 suburban 5.7l tbi. One of the lines, presumably the high pressure line, is spraying fluid all over the place. I want to replace both lines but it looks like I would have to pull the pump to do that. Does anyone know what the easiest way to get in there and pull the lines is? Can it be done from under the truck with the pump still installed?
It looks like I might be able to get to it with a tubing wrench from the side, tight fit though. Still interested to see what other people have done.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll save yourself alot of headache and cuss words if you pop the pulley off and remove the pump from the truck

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll save yourself alot of headache and cuss words if you pop the pulley off and remove the pump from the truck

You're probably right, but I'm stubborn. I removed the skid plate and am going at it from below. Got it soaking in pb blaster right now. Already disconnected the other end of the line

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I should've just done that. I turned the wrench too hard on the line going into the pump, ended up busting the captive nut that the line threads into. Now I'm pulling everything apart to replace the pump. I guess I deserve that...

For future reference, for anyone doing this to their truck, just pull the damn pump.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhh man that sucks!

crashnitup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It serves me right. Let's ask for advice then ignore it! This is sure to work out great. lol
I believe this is called an “ask-hole” lol. I’m glad you did this because I was LITERALLY going to do exactly what you did! Sorry your lesson was learned the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe this is called an “ask-hole” lol. I’m glad you did this because I was LITERALLY going to do exactly what you did! Sorry your lesson was learned the hard way.
It's ok, I suffered you don't have to!. Pulling the pump us actually way easier than reaching up past the sawy bar and centerlink. Remove the belt, pull the pulley, remove the three bolts in the front, don't try to take the pump off the black bracket that connects to the exhaust studs and alternator, take the nuts off the exhaust studs and the bolt out of the alternator and remove that bracket wirh the pump.

crashnitup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's ok, I suffered you don't have to!. Pulling the pump us actually way easier than reaching up past the sawy bar and centerlink. Remove the belt, pull the pulley, remove the three bolts in the front, don't try to take the pump off the black bracket that connects to the exhaust studs and alternator, take the nuts off the exhaust studs and the bolt out of the alternator and remove that bracket wirh the pump.
Sweet. I’ll start that tonight.