Just got a new truck and I am looking for advise and information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthTexasDylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I just got a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Z71. I bought the truck from what I was told was the 2nd owner. The first owner seems to have tricked the truck out pretty nice. Lift kit, aftermarket wheels and 285-75-16 tires. That is where it pretty much ended.
This second owner obviously did not maintain the vehicle at all. It has just over 200k miles. When I got the truck I quickly noticed that the brakes were gone, needed an alignment and 4 new tires. He put some cheap M/T (probably PepBoys or something). However did not get an alignment. So he ruined the front tires after a year and about 9k miles. So he just rotated them to the back and still did not get an alignment. He had no idea what kind of lift was installed. Come to find out its a Trailmaster lift kit.
After getting it hole I put new rotor, calipers, brake shoes/pads, rear wheel cylinders and shocks. Drove it for a couple weeks and then when I was backing in the driveway I heard a loud "clunk". Playing with the steering wheel with the help of my dad I discovered the bushing for the control arms were shot. That was just the beginning. As I tore into it it grew and grew. So far I have changed the upper control arms and ball joints, lower ball joints, hubs and seals in the knuckle that the axles ride in (not sure what they are called) and rack and pinion.

Have some questions if anyone can answer:
Is this a 4 or 6 inch lift? Looks like they made both.

Am I okay running these OEM upper control arms? I didn't think it had a lift kit when I ordered them.

Any other glaring issues standing out you see?

Original Stance
You must be registered for see images attach

Close up of Stance

Blocks in rear

Rear leafs

Before I did any work

Cross Member

Before anything was changed out

Shot from above before anything was changed

After all the parts where changed out

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Nice looking truck, and nice to see that you're interested in taking care of it and not just driving around looking cool.

I'm going to guess you have the 6" lift, since I see you have rear bocks. Usually they are level at 4" without blocks, and with blocks they crank to 6"

If you were able to get the alignment in spec, then the OE upper control arm should be fine.

NorthTexasDylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!! After I get the rack and pinion on tomorrow I am going to take it to get it aligned and I guess we will go from there.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Thanks!! After I get the rack and pinion on tomorrow I am going to take it to get it aligned and I guess we will go from there.

Which part are you calling the rack and pinion? These trucks use a traditional steering box, so I'm kind of curious lol.

NorthTexasDylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the sleeve that the tie rods screw into doesn't really wear out does it? I got new inner and outer tie rod ends but I don't have any way of getting a long replacement sleeve.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
i believe your lift has different adjusters anyway. If they are free, no need to replace them.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be looking into a U bolt flip kit. That's an awful lot of exposed threads on the u-bolts if the truck is ever going to be off road.

NorthTexasDylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offroading here. Just looking to turn some heads.

This idler and pitman arm just about killed me!!! I don't think they have ever been changed. Thought I was going to have to cut them apart with a grinder until they finally broke loose.