is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bogginblazer

Reaction score
ok here goes my rant it is worth it to build a gmt 400. for all intent and poupruses this is base on my needs and other like me me who want a go anywhere truck.

well i have looked around got a bunch of prices and here is the break down

IFS

1988-1998 4wd 1500 PU, 1992-1998 Tahoe, Sub. 6" Suspension

price $995.95

reason: i chose this company is they stand behind there stuff. aka if u break anything they will send it to you next day.

ooo i for got to say they build there stuff to get beat off road unlike skyjaker.

so now this is a full kit witch for some odd rason dose NOT come with rear leafs NONE that i found do. you can buy them for like 400 to 500 bucks the leafs that is.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

the problems with IFS

the only CV's that are worth anything on our trucks are mad by a company named RCV. they cost are you ready

$1,995.00 each

now there are other problems with the stock IFS system. BALL JOINTS

they are made for pre runners so u know they can take it.

there made by a company called KARTEK

PRICE $249.00 each

there uppers by the way

now theres another problem with the front suspension idler arm and pitman arm.

PRICE $251.75 made by Cognito Motorsports solution.

now your thinking wait you have for got somethign tie rods lol nope

heim joints 18k lbs

PRICE 16.00 each

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

solid front axle

with this come many options aka what do u want your rig to do

i my self would like to flex but mostlly muddin. the prices very in how much fab work you can do your self also.

this kit is from http://www.offroadunlimited.com

this has new front and rear springs u bolts brake lines.

dual front shocks on both sides.

ORU Hydraulic Ram Steering Assist.

Crossover Steering Conversion.

ORU Trac Bar Kit for use w/Solid Axle.

IFS to Solid Axle Conversion Kit for a dana 60 with 36.5 springs.

PRICE $4,972.71

now theres more u need to get a solid axle a new transfer case if u run a chevy axle.

a 350 or 400 trans to mount it to.

PRICE $275

now there are cheaper kits out there and this is still not a full kit eather mind you.

no shocks. you would have to measure the distance and order from there. but as u need shocks in both kits no prices will be giving.

axles and tcases all depend where you are in the country to the price.

where a dana 60 and a np205

PRICE $400 and $350

now since you have the truck apart why not thow in a 14 bolt rear end witch in my opinion should be done any way.

that will not be listed as a price becasue u need it eather way as the same for gears and lockers.

total

IFS 5767.70

solid front axle 5997.71

now there will be more cost aka shocks rebuilds and so on

the reson i did this is for 2 reason

1. to help people fig out the cost of building there 4x4's b4 they spend a dime.

2. to ask my self and the whole community a question. exp the guys on tractor tires U DONT COUNT.
why dont we just start with a solid axle truck?

on that note i am not here to offend or piss people off we all love our trucks.

if some one knows of a better way to do things as i am shure there are many out there. these are just 2 options.

you dont have to go with any of them. they are not set in stone.we are playing with BIG BOY LEGOS. you can make any thing you want.

as for tractor tire guys the reson you dont count all the MONEY you have in your rigs and fab work. as i want one you gotta start small :)~

thanks for reading hope u all enjoy