Is it worth it? LS swap questions also.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at a 99 RCSB 4x4 with a 5.3 with 248K miles... My wifes cousin owns it and will sell it to me for $500

The frame is rusted out and broke between the cab and bed so he quit driving it.

I was thinking about buying it and putting the drivetrain into my 95. That way I have everything I know I need plus extras.

But does anyone know what i will have to change or move on the motor to get it to fit right? Can I swap the entire wire harness over including gauges? And maybe fit the gauge cluster into the dash also?

I know I will want to freshen up the motor with new gaskets and such. But what else should I do to it while its out. I want it to be reliable and want to make it my DD after the swap.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
theres a few people who have done a few writeups already that id look into, theres alot to an lsx swap, lurking around some of the builds and a few pms might be a bit easier unless one of the veterans chime in. not trying to be that guy, just thinking if you got the time do some more research because the answers are out there.

as for what to do to it, at 248 its broken in, so gaskets rings and bearings are a good idea, take the block to the machine shop to have it checked out and have the heads decked.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it worth the $500? Absolutely!! And ditto on researching the swap. TONS of info out there on this swap :)

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
If you were gonna take all the wiring, pcm, gauges, and Trans, I don't see why you would need anything special besides the ac relocation bracket and motor mounts

Sent from my awesome S5

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Awesome. Thats what I needed to here. Other then motor mounts I didn't know what I needed.

well you still might need odds and ends, im not sure what it would take to get the gauges in. youll need a tune im sure, an ac relocation bracket (ls ac will hit the frame rail), and will probably still have to do some wiring, but not a whole lot. I would get the engine and trans looked at or even freshened up. Im not an expert on this, these are just what i have noticed from looking into other ls swaps

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For $500.00, I'd be in! You bet!
I have saved a few things that I've found helpful.
There's a ton of more info out there. Way more!
Check this.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?19942-How-to-LS-Swap-a-GMT400-(or-any-other-vehicle)

*This next one got saved without any note on whom was the author. If it's anyone here, jump in a claim responsibility. Or just post up their name if you know.*

Obs to Lsx wiring made simple
Ok so if any of you guys have been keeping up with my build its been a long road. But i have found the easiest way to run the wiring for the ls engine into a 96+ Truck. This will only work in those trucks. what i have found is that you can remove the pins from your factory harness and install them right into the ls harness and pcm. that way you will be using the OBS fuel pump relay, VSS signal, Check Engine light, and brake signal.

basically if you decide to do your own harness or have one made you will remove from the green connector completely

9 - Fuel Pump

46-Check Engine

16-4wd low (4wd only)

blue connector

33- brake signal

then from your stock obs harness you will remove the following pins and insert them directly into the ls harness

Black connector plug

1 fuel pump

5 Check engine

10 Brake signal

23 4wd low (4wd only)

this saves you from having to cust and splice wires and makes for a seamless integration. as far as the starter you can reuse the factory PNS switch and obs solenoid wire which should be purple.

the other connections from the harness like ignition and constant power should be pretty straight forward.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
you can reuse your radiator, gas tank, transmission, ac compressor, your oil pressure sending unit and water temp sensor both need an adapter though but that's simple. I would try to buy an ls motor with everything you mentioned above, be sure if you buy a DBW engine that you also get the TAC module and gas pedal. I would suggest a company such as Nelson performance to modify your ls harness to make it work in your truck. You can even reuse your existing fuel lines up the fuel filter and after that there are adapter's that allow to use -06 AN hose's up to the fuel rail. For a fuel pump you could use a Walbro 255 that's what I have, or a Racetronic's pump, etc. The higher pressure pump will fit right in to your current fuel pump carrier.​

Last edited:

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it bother anyone that it has 248k miles?

I'm no mechanic so if the engine or trans needs rebuilt I'm going to have to have a shop do it. And that will cost money. I'm thinking a minimum of $1500 each. Thats what really scares me.