IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that would be sick! Since you’re so good at fab work could you also do a center cut out roll pan, something similar to the c5 where the exhaust comes out? You wouldn’t have to run your exhaust out but it would look cool seeing glimpse of the rear end and would tie into the side vents
I’ve had this exact idea on my mind for a while but can’t decide if I want quad exhaust out the center like the vettes or dual on each side like the modern Camaros. I’ve also thought some sort of “mild” diffuser type deal would look cool but I’m not sure on that yet. I think the diffuser would fit in with the look of all the vents and widebody if done properly.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A rear IRS retrofit will almost certainly include a few parts that aren't there now; rear toe links.
Comes to mind how Nascar changed from a straight 9" Ford axle to current Xtrac IRS.
And, how that Xtrac setup also has rear toe links. Which routinely fail when subjected to relatively minor damage; hits that were routinely survived by the earlier straight axles.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A rear IRS retrofit will almost certainly include a few parts that aren't there now; rear toe links.
Comes to mind how Nascar changed from a straight 9" Ford axle to current Xtrac IRS.
And, how that Xtrac setup also has rear toe links. Which routinely fail when subjected to relatively minor damage; hits that were routinely survived by the earlier straight axles.
Well I’ve put a few thousand miles on the irs swap, including a pot hole or two and it’s still holding strong.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my favorite part of all this is that it’s still a TBI truck. I’ve got 3 and love them. Not everyone’s favorite but they are mine.

The diffuser would definitely fit the bill. As far as exhaust, can’t really go wrong with either. I think the center quads would look a bit better.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my favorite part of all this is that it’s still a TBI truck. I’ve got 3 and love them. Not everyone’s favorite but they are mine.

The diffuser would definitely fit the bill. As far as exhaust, can’t really go wrong with either. I think the center quads would look a bit better.
The tbi is definitely great for what it’s intended to do and i loved it for a long time, but it’s about time for it to go… need to make room for something a lot more stout. Maybe add one or two of those spinny snail things that go vwuuuuu stsshhhhhh ;)

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tbi is definitely great for what it’s intended to do and i loved it for a long time, but it’s about time for it to go… need to make room for something a lot more stout. Maybe add one or two of those spinny snail things that go vwuuuuu stsshhhhhh ;)
I knew it was coming eventually. You’ve got a great foundation for a stout motor but I don’t need to tell you that.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work! I wish I had been nearly as talented when I was your age.
Thank you Erik! I was lucky enough to have people to teach me to weld at 16. Once I learned how to do that I just played with stuff until I could build things and here we are. Speaking of welding the tig welder finally gets here today, it was on back order for weeks. Once I get going with that I can finish the body work.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left pic is 18g no filler, right is 3/16 both mild steel. I gave er the beans a bit hard on the 3/16. Warped the 18g pretty good as well. Gonna need a lot more practice but I think I’m off to an ok start.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 12