Improved fuel economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was a parts store filter, so not sure. What I see as the flaw with the stock box is that the filter is shrouded terribly by the box itself.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
They are designed to swirl air around so heavier particles fall to the bottom. Donaldson makes lots of air cleaners that way.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a parts store filter, so not sure. What I see as the flaw with the stock box is that the filter is shrouded terribly by the box itself.

Maybe this is more of an issue with how the small block intake attaches to the TB? Just trying to figure out why it seems like the small block one seems to be more of an issue and that is the main difference as far as I know.

Sorry to OP for being somewhat off topic.

Reaction score
For TBI if you need more air but don't want an open element, use a dual snorkel setup. been around forever on older muscle cars and tbi 3rd gens camaros (i think). You can even buy kits on summit or your favorite parts store.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
So a quick summary, exhaust (headers?, crossover, replace oe cat) Intake, tune up (plugs wires etc.), reduce drag (brakes, fresh fluid in diff, repack front bearings,).Aero maybe? Like the splitter under the front bumper? If you want to get radical maybe you could regear for your driving style. Also what kind of mileage are you getting?

Fukitol

Reaction score
Motorvation does prom chips for the tbi engines for around $100

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adjusting your driving habits will help the most. Keeping it tuned plugs wires air filter timing distributor making sure the exhaust isn’t restricted and removing extra weight helps. Some guys like to carry the kitchen sink just in case they break down.
If you have large wide tires and are not geared that will kill mpg. Keep up your n tire pressure. Stick thin tirescwill get better mpg than big wide tires. Fuel filter and make sure the fuel pump is pumping out good pressure.
Ultimately you’re driving a large heavy truck with a small block. I had a Chevy TBI 454 th400 crew cab dually 4x. It got 9 mpg. I did everything you could think plugs wires tires filters drove like granny Moses. It got 9 mpg.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 305 70R16 Mud Terrain Toyos on my 1995 350 CID Extended Cab Z71. I went from 10.4mpg to 12.6 highway by increasing my tire pressure. It was 35psi but now I'm running 45 to 50 if I recall. I think the max is higher still. Anyway, saw a significant difference FYI. I wont be happy until I get around 16mpg. I drive 70 miles a day to work round trip. I like the mudders but going to go more streetable and a bit smaller when these wear out to try to save some money on fuel. This is just to say that tire pressure can have a big effect.