Improved fuel economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know most people generally ask how to make more power, but I don't tow anything with my suburban and it's not exactly what I imagine for a sports car. I'm wondering what you guys have done on a 5.7L TBI engine to improve fuel economy without breaking the bank. Does Black Bear offer tunes for that sort of thing?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think black bear does anything 95 or older. When i got my 95 one of the PO's had cut the stock air cleaner up so that it was a open element style. I got an OE style and all of the ducting that goes out to the fender and I gained 2 mpg. I know its not much but going from 8 mpg to 10 mpg is big in my book. Keeping all unnecessary weight out of it would help to.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think black bear does anything 95 or older. When i got my 95 one of the PO's had cut the stock air cleaner up so that it was a open element style. I got an OE style and all of the ducting that goes out to the fender and I gained 2 mpg. I know its not much but going from 8 mpg to 10 mpg is big in my book. Keeping all unnecessary weight out of it would help to.
The stock setup is actually pretty good for cold-ish air, I bet it works better than the cheap so called CAI kits that people seem to love. This is my road trip and adventure vehicle, not my dd, it's always loaded with ****. Lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Fresh O2 sensor
2. Inflate tires (don't forget the spare)
3. Check brakes for drag. Possibly convert to a quick-take-up master cylinder and low-drag calipers.
4. Verify exhaust back pressure. Replace parts as needed. A fresh aftermarket monolithic catalyst can be a big improvement over the old OEM pellet catalysts, but I don't know when GM switched from pellet to monolithic.
5. All the usual tune-up items--air filter, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs should be inspected and replaced as needed. Verify ignition timing and timing advance. Verify proper cranking compression.
6. Don't use thick oil.
7. Drive slow enough to keep the torque converter clutch and overdrive gear engaged.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock setup is actually pretty good for cold-ish air, I bet it works better than the cheap so called CAI kits that people seem to love. This is my road trip and adventure vehicle, not my dd, it's always loaded with ****. Lol
Im sure the stock set up does work better for getting colder air. Another thing that helps as I'm sure you know is driving habits. If you try to trim your toenails with the fan blade you will get worse mileage then if you baby it. Other then that what Schurkey said i also a good list to follow. I don't know if a aftermarket intake would help any or not. I tossed around the idea of putting one on mine then I think with more then 230k miles it isn't worth it on that engine. If i put a reman or new in i might go that route.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw in my two cents regarding the intake conversation. The factory intakes on these trucks flow plenty for these engines and have excellent intake air temps due to being ducted to the fender, as mentioned. I'd advise against wasting money trying to improve something that already works great.

Granted both of my trucks are Vortecs so those with TBIs may have a different experience, but I put a K&N intake on my red truck and ended up taking it back off in favor of the factory intake. The factory setup gets consistently lower IATs, and has zero chance of fouling your MAF sensor with filter oil like the K&Ns and other oiled gauze filters are prone to do.

Stick with the factory intake and paper filters if you want the best option IMO. The only aftermarket intake available for these trucks that looks like it might be as good as the factory one is the Volant, due to the sealed box design that uses the factory fender hole. If you absolutely need an aftermarket intake for looks or whatever, that's the only one I'd consider spending money on.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw in my two cents regarding the intake conversation. The factory intakes on these trucks flow plenty for these engines and have excellent intake air temps due to being ducted to the fender, as mentioned. I'd advise against wasting money trying to improve something that already works great.

Granted both of my trucks are Vortecs so those with TBIs may have a different experience, but I put a K&N intake on my red truck and ended up taking it back off in favor of the factory intake. The factory setup gets consistently lower IATs, and has zero chance of fouling your MAF sensor with filter oil like the K&Ns and other oiled gauze filters are prone to do.

Stick with the factory intake and paper filters if you want the best option IMO. The only aftermarket intake available for these trucks that looks like it might be as good as the factory one is the Volant, due to the sealed box design that uses the factory fender hole. If you absolutely need an aftermarket intake for looks or whatever, that's the only one I'd consider spending money on.

Not sure where you got your information. The factory Vortec intake is very restrictive to flow. I consistently datalog 305 and 350 trucks dropping 10 KPA MAP pressure at WOT in the 4,000+ rpm range. That is over 3" of vacuum.

My old 350 TBI powered G-van also had an air inlet system very similar to a TBI truck and it would drop off almost 15 KPA at 4,200 rpm and that was with a K&N filter. The stock housing was highly restrictive to flow especially with the collar that raises the air cleaner and shrouds the injectors.

This is especially true once you open up the exhaust.

Best bang for the buck TBI fuel mileage and low-midrange power modifications I found were small 1 1/2 or 1 5/8" diameter long tube headers into dual 2.5" pipes into a 2.5-3" merge Y into a high flowing 3" exhaust with a straightflow muffler followed by ECM chip work. I also found running 13-14 psi fuel pressure to help atomization and torque which keeps you out of the throttle. Finally I also ran 25% underdrive pulleys with no ill effects. I had a stock 8.75:1 1-ton 350 TBI crate engine in my old 1983 G20 van. Backed to a 700r4 and 3.08 gears. With 1.6 full roller rockers, doug thorley tri-ys, merge Y, high flow cat, 3" single in/dual out magnaflow, edelbrock 3704 intake, open center TBI spacer with a 454 TBI unit and 454 air cleaner assembly it was a completely different engine. I would average 14 mpg city and 20 mpg highway with lean cruise enabled at 16:1 air/fuel ratio on level road at 70 mph. At light throttle, steady cruising speeds I had lean cruise coming on as low as 30 mph (emissions dyno tests were done at 15 and 25 mph)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure where you got your information. The factory Vortec intake is very restrictive to flow. I consistently datalog 305 and 350 trucks dropping 10 KPA MAP pressure at WOT in the 4,000+ rpm range. That is over 3" of vacuum.

To be honest I never checked pressures, just IATs. That's surprising to me but I'm not necessarily doubting it. I do wonder if the average Joe would ever even notice any negative effects from that restriction, though. I also wonder how much better any of the aftermarket intakes actually are.

EDIT - Another random thought, I wonder how much of that restriction is in the filter? A dirty filter would definitely reduce flow, and there's also the matter of the K47 filter option which is slightly larger than the standard one.

I stand by my statement that the Volant is the only aftermarket intake worth anything, and even then I'd replace the oiled gauze filter with something dry like an Amsoil Ea. The filter on my K&N FIPK leeched enough oil onto my MAF to trigger a CEL in about a week, fresh out of the box.

Last edited: