Impala SS rear disk brake swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible?

its 5x5 pattern
its a 8.5" 10 bolt
internal drum style parking brake

sourcing the parts might be difficult, but id assume it could be done?

i tried searching a bunch of different terms and kept coming up empty..so im sorry if this has been talked aobut already.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The parts are a bolt-on. Make sure to get the axle tube brackets! Use a GMT800 master.
The brake lines need an adapter from the GMT400 lines to the Impala connections. I had that info somewhere, just can't find it right now. Got that from this forum, somewhere. Maybe someone with the info right close to the top of their head can chime in.
Use new rotors. (& pads!) I'm likin' the R1Concepts, so they'll match my fronts.
IIRC, the rotors may have to drilled out slightly to make up for the larger GMT400 wheel studs.
Then...there's finding out the proper E-brake cable. (The E-brake feature is the whole point of using the Impala discs, isn't it?)
Part #, lengths, etc. When you have that figured out, lemme know! Lol!

Got it all, 'cept for rotors, pads & cables! Just need a good cleanin' & some warmer, more dry weather!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking nice sewlew, I see you made more progress than I have last time we were talking about rear discs haha. I'm preparing to do the swap in a few weeks. Is everything you pictured (backing plates, wheel cylinders, parking brake shoes, and calipers) all from an impala, or a GM truck? Right now I'm trying to figure out if our stock cables can be used with that built in parking brake setup for discs.

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are the axle tube brackets your talking about?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
sourcing the parts might be difficult, but id assume it could be done?
Not terribly difficult, just don't limit yourself to Impala SS. Remember the 9C1 Caprice (police model) has the same stuff in the later years, there's a cutoff somewhere - the older TBI cars don't have them but I'm fairly sure all the LT1-equipped ones do. Lots and lots of those cars out there.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My mistake! Haven't looked at this stuff for a while. For some reason I was thinking that there are stand-off brackets for the calipers, but those are bolted onto the E-brake backing plates! DOH!

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1994-1996 Caprice 9C1 (police) with either L99 4.3L V8 or LT1 5.7L V8 all had the rear disc set up also that is the same as Impala SS. L99 cars came with 8.5 10 bolt with 3.23 gears where the LT1 cars came with 10 bolt 3.08 gears, but brakes are the same.

Also keep in mind that the E brakes on this set up rely greatly on having proper clearances to work. IE make sure you use new rotors and new parking brake shoes. The inside drum surface is often over looked and it does wear just like the rotor surface over time and will cause the E brake to be worthless. You can only adjust it so much. I would think hard about the way you use your truck if your going to do this swap especially if you tow a lot or have a manual transmission. The OEM drums work much better as far as a parking brake IMHO.