Swapping 13"x2.5" to 13"x3.5" drum brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has (and it probably has) been asked before. I did some searching but nothing jumped out at me.

Assuming my K2500 has 13"x2.5" drum brakes, and I am almost certain it does (5.7L, 8600 GVWR, JB7 code), would it be possible for replace the 2.5" components with 3.5" components (e.g., drums, wheel cylinders, hardware, etc.)? (Sorry, just have not had time to take a peek at the rear brake component yet.)

I plan on installing the hydroboost brake booster, so I'd like to do swap the rear brakes out, too, if possible. I am not interested in doing a rear brake disc conversion.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB7 is 13.00 x 2.5 in rear, as you mention.

3.5" is for the DRW setup IIRC. DRW uses deep drums... the hub is a long way from the backing plate.

Is your rear full- or semi-float?

I'm interested in to read what the knowledgeable people have to say about this.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your rear full- or semi-float?

I'm interested in to read what the knowledgeable people have to say about this.
Semi-float. I think all 2500s with the 5.7L have a semi-float rear axle.

I thought some of the SRW GMT400s could come with 3.5" wide drums, but if that's not the case, that makes it a lot easier for me (to stick with the 2.5" wide drums).

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a 13x3.5 single wheel option in a 1 ton (JB8) looks like it may be possible to swap. Would need backing plates as well as hardware, shoes, and drums for sure, only way to know for sure is to try it. I'll keep researching I'm pretty interested if its possible.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as i can tell using a GM Parts Catalog and Rockauto's catalog, would need backing plates, shoes, and drums for JB8 single wheel, provided you didn't have any other worn parts and would only work on a 10.50 ring gear axle.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as i can tell using a GM Parts Catalog and Rockauto's catalog, would need backing plates, shoes, and drums for JB8 single wheel, provided you didn't have any other worn parts and would only work on a 10.50 ring gear axle.
Sounds right. Different axles (9.5" SF versus 10.5" FF) then different inner diameter of the axle shaft hole in the backing plate. Maybe even difference in bolt spacing for the four backing plate bolts (not certain).

I will stick with the 2.5" wide drums and maybe just upgrade the wheel cylinders.