How to spruce up these old rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

classman

Reaction score
A quick way to mask the tire before painting the rim is to cut a strip of thin sheet metal with tinsnips long and broad enough to create an overlap ring/collar. Insert the collar in the groove between the tire and the rim. Use your imagination to fasten the overlap ends. I hold the overlap ends with my hand while spraying.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick way to mask the tire before painting the rim is to cut a strip of thin sheet metal with tinsnips long and broad enough to create an overlap ring/collar. Insert the collar in the groove between the tire and the rim. Use your imagination to fasten the overlap ends. I hold the overlap ends with my hand while spraying.
:33:
See post #10 for an easier way.

jaybee

Reaction score
The clear coat is shot, but I'd say there's a fair bit of oxidation on the aluminum where it's exposed, too. A coat of paint would sure help, but all that unevenness would come right through the paint without taking the time for a good sanding. They'd look good with the faces polished and the sunken parts of the spokes painted black, except that I'm not sure how well you could polish that fine line pattern.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was said that is clearcoat that is discolored and breaking off. Paint stripper,pressure wash and aluminum naval jelly to brighten the aluminum followed with another good pressure wash. I can still see the machined finish and if you want to retain that do not use any abrasives. Use a white rouge based polish and plenty of elbow grease to bring back the original finish then clean well again,dry and clearcoat to maintain the finish. You will never get that new machined finish back but with some finesse you can maintain the pattern.