Cleaning Stock Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I bought some aircraft paint remover and used that on the rims, and then scrubbed them with green scotch bright pads. Buffed them out with a polishing cone then applied the white diamond.

They look pretty good now, this is the same rim from before. I think I'm gonna put on some diamond ceramic coat too. Thanks for the help and advice!

I would not have expected the area around the wheel weight to have cleaned up so well. Turned out great!

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I used a orbital sander to carefully remove the clearcoat on the machined aluminum parts only. The gray hammerd finish area was still in good condition and I didnt want to mess that up. the only place i used stripper was the dished area around the lug nuts. Used 36 grit on the rim where the weights were mounted till the were almost invisible then went to finer grades by hand sanding in the direction of the original machining. The machined finish was pretty course so I went thru several grades to get to a nice smooth finish. I made masks tor all the gray areas and sprayed them. then polished a couple of times with Mothers, then used Optimum aluminum sealer to keep them bright.

Attachments

• HPIM1325.JPG
    HPIM1325.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM1330.JPG
    HPIM1330.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 18