How to remove smoke smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monical

Reaction score
You can use air freshener and keep the windows open. The smoke smell is very disgusting.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well here's the easiest solution, rent a rug doctor for a day, remove all seats from the truck, both fronts and the rear bucket, use the rug doctor with the interior attachment and clean all the carpets as good as possible! Then Clean the seats, after that the next thing is the windows. I know it may not seem like a solution but windows build up a film of crap over time if you don't clean the inside regularly, grab some windEX and you're going to have to scrub the crap out of all the windows to remove the film IF YOU HAVE TINT! DO NOT USE WINDEX you must use water with a tiny bit of soap and paper towls or a microfiber cloth, next thing is to get some armor all wipes and do the entire interior so make it look nice and remove anything from the plastics, basically you're detailing your truck on your next day off my friend, also get some Q tips in a big box and clean all your air vents, anywhere there's dust. After that. Get about 6 strawberry cup holder air fresheners and place them all around the inside of you truck. If this doesn't do it for you. Idk what will.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the smoke smell. My 97 also had been smoked in for years. I work for a small business that caters to dealerships. Often we have to remove smells, and almost all are cigarette smoke. Personally I recommend taking the dash apart and cleaning everything with simple green. Let the simple green soak inside of the vents. (simple green may also eat some of the color, don't leave it there too long.) Use a carpet shampooer or an "extractor" to clean all of the cloth surfaces (seats, headliner, cloth on the door panels, carpet). If all else fails, I would shake baking soda all over the carpets, leave the truck sealed up, then vacuum it all up a week or so later. There are machines called ozone machines that eat a lot of odor also, but are expensive. Good luck! If you have any questions let me know!

I hate to sound ignorant here, but I would never spray simple green on my interior. That's how you get faded interior after years. My truck is a 98 and the interior looks like the day it came off the show room floor so to speak. If you shake baking soda over the carpets you're going to have a hay day trying to get rid of it all. Trust me, go to a Frys or Safeway or Basha's etc. rent a rug doctor and make sure you get the correct solutions.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I tried most of them and got frustrated beyond control. The wife still couldn't ride with me anywhere so I done the unheard of and broke even on trade for my '00 NBS. Don't be to sad though some trucks are beyond saving. Now I'm back down to 1 OBS and she is going to hang around a while.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont feel bad.....i did the same thing a few weeks ago...im down to 1 also when i started with 3!!.....its all good man

BigV

Reaction score
Problem with surface cleaners is smoke gets everywhere.

Call around to some of your local car detailers and find one that does ozone shock treatments. An ozone generator is used for 24hrs in a sealed up car. The ozone kills every odor and any mold.

Ozone generators have come done in price lately. You can usually get one for under $200. If you buy and sell very many cars it is worth the investment.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I tried most of them and got frustrated beyond control. The wife still couldn't ride with me anywhere so I done the unheard of and broke even on trade for my '00 NBS. Don't be to sad though some trucks are beyond saving. Now I'm back down to 1 OBS and she is going to hang around a while.

Wow i'm happy to hear you broke even! Was that even after all the cleaning you did to it!?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sorry to hear we couldn't get the job done for ya. But if the boss ain't happy ain't nobody happy. :D

traicy

Reaction score
Ozone generators have come done in price lately. You can usually get one for under $200. If you buy and sell very many cars it is worth the investment.
Exactly. It's the very good idea for such a case.