How to remove smoke smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
the smell could be a number of things. vehicles ive owned or ive worked on to get rid of that smell ive used simple green on the carpets and such and a shampooer, the seats i ued a shampooer and steamer to revive all the old foam, headliners used a steamer on a few and they still held up. others were so far gone it didnt matter. all the plastic i use denatured alcohol and then degreaser to thoroughly get rid of all the old gunk on them. windshields are hard. i usually do a combination of vinegar then use some invisaglass then rainx and steel wool. also on the outsides rustoluem rust converter works(dunno how). the rest of it like your ac vents and stuff i tie a nice long rope onto an iar freshener and shove it in a vent, keep the windows down if the wethers nice to get rid of your strong chemical smells and when closed your air freshner will do the rest of the work with the air on or whatever. that method has worked great for me everytime.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I have been slowly removing every interior piece and cleaning it. The headliner can be cleaned like a carpet, might have to do it a few times to get the smell out. When I replaced my dash I cleaned the heck out of everything and it helped a lot.

Those odour things you stick behind the seat do more to mask the smell than get rid of it IMO. If somebody is allergic, I don't think they'd help at all.

I'm not, but I can't stand that smell. One time a friend of mine jumped in the passenger seat of my truck and just lit up a smoke, after all my laborious efforts...

I "launched" so to speak...

Reaction score
Try putting some coffee grounds in there. Works just like the charcoal. Spread some fine grounds on a few plates and just let it set in there for a couple days. Your truck might smell like coffee, but it's better than smoke!!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Sounds like you've already started the cleaning process. IMO I would pull the seats and carpet and pressure wash them with hot soapy water, and let them air dry again. Take the dash apart as far as you can to clean it.

Don't forget things like the visors and door panels. The fabric on the door panels typically has thin foam behind it, great place for smells to hide.

If you have a garage park in it with the windows down.

I use one of these in all of my vehicles. I have had many combinations of cigarette, cigar, campfire, booze, sweat, wet dog, etc in my 88 and in the trailer over the years. These little guys work pretty darn well at grabbing bad smells.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1279959

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Odorbombs. Comes in a spray type can and you pull the tab releasing the gasses. Toss it in the vehicle with all the windows up and let it sit for a day or so. Then Air out the truck for a couple hours.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy smoked in mine a few times when riding with me and my sisters friend would smoke in my sisters car but I'd have the window cracked and then out an air freshener out and it would go away. Guess I'm lucky. My grandpa smoked in his car all the time, we had it professionally cleaned and detailed inside and they got rid of it

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
de4aling with this with my blazer spent almost 3 hours scrubbing and shampooing the interior the other day. My buddy is gonna steam clean my headliner and for a last result. When I used to detail cars I would have some flood damged cars come through I would pick up these spray bombs of air freshener from a cleaning supply place. Put it in there with everything closed up set it off and shut the door. It would go off for about 5 minutes and complete and fill the whole interior...worked great

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck was smoked in before I bought it. I used a carpet shampoo machine on the seat. The seat belts I let sit in a bucket full of water laundry soap and degreaser for 2 days. I took the dash apart as much as I can and cleaned all of it with degreaser and laundry soap/hot water along with the headliner. The rubber mat was the easiest part to take out and clean. After a afew days of cleaning I got all the smell out.

6d8muscle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try coffee grounds with apple slices in a coffee filter under each seat a few times.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
My ashtray was chocked full when I bought the truck. So obviously the guy smoke a ton and didnt really care. Smoke doesn't bother me but my truck reeked of the crap. I took the ashtray out and soaked it in degreaser and water. Here's my Fix. I went to the local sport shop an picked up about 3 bottles of the scent eliminator/scentlok spray. Brand shouldn't matter too much but I got the good stuff. I combined spraying the headliner seats and carpet with it and lots of windows down driving plus leaving them cracked and the back vent windows open to circulate air 24/7. Repeat the process til the problem goes away. As for the allergies cleaning out the ducting will help immensely. If she still has issues after that its going to be very difficult and expensive to rid the truck of the triggers. Try the ionizer as well. It's a long shot but it might work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez