How To: Hard Wire In a Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
Step one will be to aquire a brake controller my favorite way of getting stuff is ebay im not one who hauls a trailer very much so i bid on a bunch of brake controllers before i got one for 99 cents :)
after youve gotten that you'll need some wire crimp connections crimp rings two circuit breakers cheapest place for that would be etrailer.com and a bolt if you want to run your wires to the fuse box aux spot instead of the battery
You must be registered for see images attach

the first thing i did was mount my circuit breakers you can mount them anywhere you would like i chose this spot because there was enough room and it wasn't going to be in the way

next run the wires from the bat port on the breaker and let them hang for now then from the black wire on your brake controller run a wire to the aux port on one of the breakers some people run theres through the fire wall use a grommet i cheat and run mine where the front door opens
the other breaker is for the aux wire from your trailer harness usually the orange and blue wire is taped up under the master cylinder

this is the circuit breakers all wired up
it will take some work to get these wires free or at least it did for me but they are visible
the blue wire will go to the blue wire on your controller also brought in through the door or a grommet
the white wire is a ground and i grounded mine to a plate under the dash where i ground everything in my truck

so that leaves the red wire this is where it gets tricky this wire goes to the brake switch wire so you'll need a circuit tester push your brake pedal and see which wire ligths up for me it was a white wire all the way to the right of the harness under the dash next to some airbag wires
after that connect your bat wires from the breakers to the aux or battery port your choice

after that tape up all of your wires clean up the tools and enjoy if you have any questions feel free to ask

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Personally I would use heatshrink instead of tape, but great pics.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
yeah ive never really learned soldering and heat shrinking but id like to

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You forgot about the back half. I prefer to cover my wires with convoluted tubing so it looks less like an add on. What kind of controller is that? Progressive or non?