HOW TO: Fix Bouncy/Hummingbird Fuel Gauge Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it on the volt gauge? A couple years ago my volt gauge started being real jerky. When you turn on a blinker it it drops about 1/2 a volt and then back up as the blinker blinks. And when the glow plugs cycle it drops real quick and abrupt looking. Where as before it would drop but in a smooth motion, not abrupt or twitchy.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it on the volt gauge? A couple years ago my volt gauge started being real jerky. When you turn on a blinker it it drops about 1/2 a volt and then back up as the blinker blinks. And when the glow plugs cycle it drops real quick and abrupt looking. Where as before it would drop but in a smooth motion, not abrupt or twitchy.

That is caused by weak grounds. Check all the grounds everywhere on the truck.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked and cleaned grounds. Still the same. Seems like there is play or looseness in the gauge. Even when you shut the key off the needle moves real fast to the 9 and vibrates a second when it gets to the end of its travel.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Would this work on my speedo? It's real bouncy. An doesn't move till after it shifts in to second. Then it jumps around. My oil pressure does a complete 180 when I hammer down. Let off goes back to normal. Really wanna get this fixed.

Sent from the legion of doom

chaingun427

Reaction score
This helped on mine a bit but it's still nutty, what else could cause that problem?