HOW TO: Fix Bouncy/Hummingbird Fuel Gauge Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
wouldn't ***** mean thicker? The dielectric grease i have doesn't really clump up. i have it in my trailer connectors and it always has a squishy feel

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
wouldn't ***** mean thicker? The dielectric grease i have doesn't really clump up. i have it in my trailer connectors and it always has a squishy feel

Yeah I guess so. Where you will have a problem though is when you create the vacuum, you still have to allow air to come out as you push oil in. Good luck getting gravity to let a bubble of air through dielectric grease in a vacuum. For $7 I wouldn't use anything other than the silicone oil.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I gotcha. I would also think that if you went with something so thick that its ***** then you are asking for it to not dampen the signal, you can clearly feel the vibration from the motor (even after this fix) when you touch the needle. Before the fix, that vibration was translating all the way through the needle. You want the oil to dampen it, and I think something that thick would allow the needle shaft to break free while the grease just sticks to the walls of the little casing, allowing it to continue. Idk though, if you try it let us know. We could turn a $10 fix into a $6-7 one ha.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
yeah haha. GF works for a vet so i get the serenges or however you spell it for free haha. I'm just a cheap ******* thats all. If i didn't have to spend money for brakes today i would have haha

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
just bought the last one of the one you posted. All the others were 8+ bucks just for the stuff not including shipping

dieselscout80

Reaction score
My trucks fuel gauge only bounces the first time I turn the key on after filling up and only for a minute or so (97 Gmc k3500 diesel) would this fix it?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about that if that is all it is doing. Mine was vibrating and bouncing 100% of the time.