HOW TO: Fix Bouncy/Hummingbird Fuel Gauge Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I have a question.

The escalade cluster I picked up a while back has a malfunctioning fuel gauge. It kinda works when it's plugged in, but it doesn't read accurate.

When I pulled the cluster apart the needle spins quite freely compared to the coolant temp and oil pressure gauge.

Is this because it needs oil and it's all leaked out? Do the gauges come from the factory with oil in them?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
This will need to be done when I put in LED's fo shua- my gas gauge vibrates really fast. Accurate, just annoying to know it's not working perfectly.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
That's a fine method, but in winter, needle will move veeeery sloooooow....

The fuel gauge inherently moves slow. They had this from the factory. On some clusters you can feel the oil leaking from the back, there will be a shiny slick run coming from the motor.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow..! Great job Chris this has been a problem for thousands of obs owners for years... Welcome to the big dogs club...

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel gauge inherently moves slow. They had this from the factory. On some clusters you can feel the oil leaking from the back, there will be a shiny slick run coming from the motor.

You wanna say that factory stepper motors have some lubrication fluid in it?