HOW TO: Fix Bouncy/Hummingbird Fuel Gauge Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaingun427

Reaction score
Right, mine does the humming bird even after this fix and with a different motor that ive also done this to, connecting a new sensor.board directly to the gauge produces smooth and steady movement tho. Im probably going to put that sending unit in, and reground the tank and sending unit when the weather clears up. If I need to ill bypass the ecu and wire it directly to the cluster like the pre 99s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A new sending unit in the tank will not fix the bouncing gauge. At least it didnt on my 98 when I replaced everything in the tank. I also just swapped in a Denali cluster and the gauge does the same exact thing as the OEM fuel gauge did. Either it a coinscience or something else is causing the gauge to bouncy and hum back and forth. FWIW, I pulled the fuel gauge out of my OEM cluster to look at it and it just a basic winding motor or some sort and it looks identical to the other gauges so my question is, why cant I just swap out the motor for another known working one on my OEM cluster. I see no visual differences between them at all.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Back side of oil pressure gauge
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel gauge

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or and does anyone else's fuel gauge move when the lights are turned on from a non running truck? Both my fuel gauge and oil pressure gauges needles will move to the left slightly when there lights are turned on. They move back to where they were when the lights are shut off so voltage is affecting them in some way or another.

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't look like anyone mentioned temp gauge yet. Mine spins about 75% of the time. It stops just enough to get a good idea of were the temp is. Same procedure to fix, or could this be a sensor?