How to dye plastic, vinyl, leather & carpets.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jvalaniz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an example, I used SEM Shadow Blue for the dark shade and Pacific Blue for the light. I used their rattle cans.

Before
You must be registered for see images attach

After
That looks great...I assume you prepped it like it was specified in the original post?

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is also an older thread, but I am about to attempt this process in dying some factory door panels black, and as you know, they have plastic, carpet, and I guess you could say a softer plastic? (The pull handle?)
What route would you take to tackle this?
What kind of brush do you use to dye the carpet part? I don’t want to use one that may be too harsh

Were you able to accomplish dying your red doors to black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselPig

Reaction score
For redoing interior panels and carpet, is it sufficient enough to use the cans or should i invest in a spray gun and compressor?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used about a dozen cans of Duplicolor Vinyl paint to turn my interior black, including the carpet. I looked and there's no discount for buying it by the case - in fact, it costs more! Still, I don't know that I'd go out and buy a compressor and gun just to shoot it. I haven't seen it sold in a bulk can that you can put into a spray gun.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, SEM or Duplicolor paint in a can is not a dye. It is a spray paint. It’s beyond me why people keep calling it dye. You cannot dye a thermoplastic part. It is not a permeable material. An example of a real dye is indigo blue which you can use to dye fabrics such as blue jeans. Anything you’re spraying is a spray paint. Rant over…..

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i redid my interior i used cans and it worked great (the plastic panels). the biggest thing is prep prep prep!
everything was washed by hand with hot super soapy water, rinsed, washed again, then rinsed again. let it dry. then cleaned again with a plastic prep/cleaner (just a spray can cleaner - it's amazing how much more stuff came off the panels even after being washed twice with the soapy water). then adhesion promoter and then, finally, SEM paint.

i had my truck reupholstered, so there was no need to mess around with any of the carpets and i got seats from a wreckers that we recovered with new vinyl.

**and yea... i'm with you Anubis - i don't know why it's called dying when it's plastic -it's just the term that is frequently used

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Chiming in a little late here, sorry. At home with a cold and I'm bored...

SEM is, in my opinion, an awesome product. I've used it for quite some time and would only switch to DupliColor if forced to.

I just finished a dash refresh project, recently, and used the three colors below.

The local paint store was able to find the mix codes for me, in a mix table, provided to them by SEM and the color came out very, very close (Dark Cognac/Brown match). The Camel is a very close match to the lighter stock color (Light Cognac) as well (and was readily available off the shelf) close enough that I just went ahead and used it. The Satin Black is my preference for most stuff that needs to be Black again, I used it to paint the glove box door latch.

My prep is simple: Dawn liquid dish washing detergent and a scrub brush to help remove any dirt and oil/grease contaminants, rinse with clean water, let dry and then use 70% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol just before spraying to get rid of any other stuff (you would be surprised at the remaining dirt/stuff the alcohol gets). Have used this method for a long time and have never had an issue with SEM products lifting or peeling.

Cheers
I hope you don't mind but I stole this color scheme for my truck "Frank". I used Colorbond Dark Camel (IIRC) for the dark brown and Rustoleum Sand for the light. I like that the "Sand" color is available in standard paint as well as vinyl dye. I even did my Fiero steering wheel. I am really pleased with how it turned out. Thanks !

Last edited: