How much paint do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The short answer is: it depends.

Surface prep, the color, the amount of solids in the paint system, as well as application tool ( gun ), and the ability of the painter all play a part in how much paint you are going to need.

I know I would only need less than a pint of base and about a pint of clear if I were spraying it, but then again I use top quality materials that cover well, my surface prep is great, and I have sprayed a lot of paint over the years.

Solid colors like white and black cover generally pretty good no matter what the paint system, but some metallic paints can take a few coats to 'hide'. If you have a 'tri-coat' color, then there is a ground coat color, a transparent mid coat and then a clear.

Perhaps a chat with your local body supply house can help you make a decision on what paint system to use based on your needs and they should be able to advise you.

If you are going a solid color, I would suggest a single stage system without a clearcoat, it's less expensive and quite durable, but this also depends on color.

The flares require a clearcoat with a flex agent ( or a flex agent mixed in the single stage system, if that is what you are using ) however the grille should be fine, since it's a rigid plastic item.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Also, spraying paint inside an area without proper protection, ventilation is quite hazardous to your health.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I will be using automotivetouchup paint, or whatever their called. My paint color is indigo blue metallic. This is going over factory grey flares, and a chrome grill.

My flares are pretty rigid, but I dunno. A pint of that stuff is like 100$... How is doing yourself cheaper than having a shop do it? After primers, base and clear, I'm already @ 200~. Shops around here quote like 300~ to have the flares done.

Sent from The Burb via Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Most times it isn't, since shops can mix small amounts of material on a digital scale, as they have a mixing station with all the tints. They also don't have to buy a large quantity of certain products, for instance, a liter of DH46 hardener here is around $ 130. Some supply houses will pour off a smaller quantity for you, but they still ding you for a container and their time / labor.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I guess I was clueless, but I just can't see how doing some flares and a grill is $200 (DIY, anyways). Plastidip black it is.

Sent from The Burb via Tapatalk