How do you remove torsion bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
That easy huh? Sounds like a plan.

Yea. Its not that hard. you can't blow it off though. Just from cranking my truck a few inches the other day, i havent got an alignment yet, and my tires are already wearing fast on the outside.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
It's pretty easy, and IMO safer than using the tool. DO NOT USE A 2-JAW PULLER. I've done it and many people have, but there is a very large amount of risk of it slipping off the crossmember. I know mine bent one time installing lift keys.

Jack the truck up, take the wheels off. You will have to disconnect the shock, sway bar end link, and remove the lower balljoint. In any case, once you are ready to disconnect the lower balljoint from the a-arm, you'll want to put a jack stand or floorjack under the a-arm to keep some pressure on it, but not much (almost to the point of full droop). At this point, to make things easier you may also need to remove the caliper, rotor, unit bearing and CV axle. Anyway, once everything is disconnected, use the floorjack to GENTLY lower the a-arm until the pressure is released.

This is what my truck looked like with the knuckle removed, obviously a GMT800 but principle is the same. I never released the torsion bars because I didn't have to, but at this point if I needed to I would have removed the jack stand, and used the floor jack to slowly lower the a-arm until pressure is released. It helps to have a nice deep cup on the floorjack.

You must be registered for see images attach

As many torsion bars as I've taken out and put in, I would have taken a bullet to my head by now if I went through all that to take out a torsion bar...... I see why you do it that way though..

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
As many torsion bars as I've taken out and put in, I would have taken a bullet to my head by now if I went through all that to take out a torsion bar...... I see why you do it that way though..

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

I agree with you. This is a lot of extra work, although I did it this way when I installed my lift. But all the parts were coming off and going on anyways.