How do you remove torsion bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I replaced my torsion bar crossmember, I had to remove the bars to get the cross memeber in. I didnt even have to remove the tire or any of the front suspension. I had it up on a lift supported by the frame to have the suspension at droop. it was very easy to get the bars out with the torsion bar tool.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
When I replaced my torsion bar crossmember, I had to remove the bars to get the cross memeber in. I didnt even have to remove the tire or any of the front suspension. I had it up on a lift supported by the frame to have the suspension at droop. it was very easy to get the bars out with the torsion bar tool.

That actually seems like it would work. Did they come out easily?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I have alway knocked torsion bars out with an air hammer. After using a bunch of spray lubricant.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sprayed mine for 3 days before the lift install with kroil. You can use pb blaster or something like that to. Mine came right out with about 3 taps of the hammer.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I did soak them in pb a few days ago. All i did was remove the torsion key bolts and unbolted the crossmember and slid it back, and they came right out.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
From what I could gather on here you'll have to jack it up, release the tension in the bars, soak it all in a ton of penetrating oil, probably have to heat up the surrounding areas with a torch, and pound them until they give :shrug:

This is what I did over the last few days^^ I unbolted the crossmember and moved it back and they both popped right out of the control arms, then I soaked the keys in PB Blaster, spun the tbar to where the ear of the key was sticking out below the crossmember, and smacked each ear twice with a sledge and they both popped out...and that's on a rusty 300k+ truck.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
This is what I did over the last few days^^ I unbolted the crossmember and moved it back and they both popped right out of the control arms, then I soaked the keys in PB Blaster, spun the tbar to where the ear of the key was sticking out below the crossmember, and smacked each ear twice with a sledge and they both popped out...and that's on a rusty 300k+ truck.

Same process I did right here.

When they came out of the front a-arms, i spun them to where the keys were hanging straight down, hit it with a hammer a few times on each side, and they wiggled out. people on many forums over-exaggerate the difficulty of removing these :imo:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Good to know. I kinda wanna crank mine to level the truck. But alignment issues kinda worry me :/